Friday, May 3, 2013

Soccer

Well, we're knee-deep in our first-ever season of soccer! So far it's been...cold. And did I mention cold? Maybe freezing? Poor Sadie - the first four games and practices she had were absolutely frigid. Her game on Saturday even had the added benefit of rain the entire game. Last week's was finally sunny, and the kids (and parents) were all very grateful.

Despite the miserable conditions, she's really enjoyed herself so far. And here's where I have to admit that my daughter most definitely inherited my lack of athletic ability. It's not so much being able to kick the ball, because she can, and really, most 5-year olds have limited skills in that ability. It's that it doesn't even occur to the kid to be aggressive. She runs along five steps behind the pack of other seven kids who are all trying to get the ball, all with a gigantic grin on her face. If the ball comes her way, she'll kick it a few times then get so excited that she actually got to kick it that she turns around to make sure we're watching and...someone steals the ball. I tried to explain after her first game what it means to be aggressive and she just looked at me with a blank expression on her face. The word's just not in her repertoire.

Don't get me wrong - I say this all with fondness. Kevin and I spend her games either shaking our heads or cracking up at her enthusiasm. She really has had fun. She's not old enough to realize she's being totally out-played by the other kids and she just gets out there and enjoys herself. I realize that's what's important, although sometimes I have to mentally remind myself when I'm in the middle of yelling at her to get the ball when she's out on the field.

In the meantime, we might have to encourage another non-contact sport when she gets older. Dance, anyone? Track and field?

...Chess?

Here are a few pictures from her very first game. You can see her excitement in just about every picture. Love her!

 photo IMG_8944_edit_zps3dc7d770.jpg

 photo IMG_8955_edit_zps48f3fd38.jpg

 photo IMG_8976_edit_zpsc372b855.jpg

 photo IMG_8979_edit_zpsb9bbc2e8.jpg

 photo IMG_8980_edit_zpsf4a07c8c.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - I LOVE her face! So excited! I can't wait to see her play :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. She is just too sweet to be aggressive. Maybe that will be a good thing. How fun to watch, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so adorable. I got stuck coaching Emerson's soccer team this spring and it is definitely entertaining. I think she's doing pretty well to actually kick the ball at all! There were some little kids on my team that wouldn't even walk around.

    ReplyDelete