Saturday, August 31, 2013

Kindergarten

 photo IMG_0625_edit_zpsc473cd82.jpg

Well, we survived.

And by that, I mean I survived. It was every bit as emotional as I thought it would be. That heart wrenching, panic-inducing moment when I had to walk out of her classroom and get in the car to drive home about killed me. (Don't worry - I managed to smile and be cheerful until I walked out the door. Sadie will never suspect a thing until she reads this years down the road.)

We chose to do afternoon Kindergarten (for a lot of reasons, mostly baby-related), so waiting four hours between the time she woke up and when she finally got to go was the first trying part of the day. We passed the time by fixing a semi-special breakfast, taking our time getting ready and doing chores, and then making a trip to the park, just the three of us, to play and take some much-needed pictures. When we got home, she changed into her school clothes with lightning speed and could barely sit still long enough to eat a quick lunch. Not to mention mommy made her hold still long enough to curl her hair. (I know. So mean.)

Then it was out to the porch to take a few pictures and anxiously wait for daddy to come home so we could go.

In case anyone was impressed by her serene and mature pose in that first picture...

 photo IMG_0619_edit_zps89171fa6.jpg

Yeah. She was a little hyper.


Watching the street for daddy's car:

 photo IMG_0633_edit_zps2de015ad.jpg

On the drive to the school, we asked her if she was nervous or excited and her answer was "mostly excited but a little bit of nervous." (Mommy, on the other hand, was exactly opposite of that.) When we asked her what she was nervous about, she said she was a little bit worried she wouldn't listen. That may have had something to do with the little FHE we had the night before where we gave her a bit of a lecture about listening to her teacher. Oops. :)


Walking in the Kindergarten doors:

 photo IMG_0639_edit_zps2c1c9344.jpg


Luckily Sadie's friend Lily happened to show up the same time as us, so Sadie had a friend to sit by right off. The girls exchanged excited/nervous giggles with each other and immediately started chatting away.
 photo IMG_0644_edit_zps0148610c.jpg


This is a perfect Sadie excited/nervous face. Says it perfectly, doesn't it?

 photo IMG_0647_edit_zps5e10c73a.jpg

Before I knew it, she was settled and I had no other reason to stick around (believe me, I was looking for one). The only brief moment of panic she had was when I told her I had to leave. She held out her arms and said, "Mommy, I don't want you to go!" I gave her a quick hug, ready to hand out all kinds of reassurances, but before I could even start she had turned back to talk to her friends. Okaaay...so you don't really care if I go? (I know, I know. It's good she didn't have a meltdown. But sheesh!)

One last picture as I walked out the door...told you I was dawdling. :)

 photo IMG_0650_edit_zpsbe6fdeb1.jpg


And that was it. I cried all the way home. 

The End.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweetheart she is and what a fun time for her! I'm glad you made it thru Nat! It will get easier every day to watch her walk away.....until next year when she goes to 1st grade :) I have such vivid memories of you with your little pink/purple flowered jumper and red apple backpack walking away from me on a day just like this one....oh the circle of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I want to know is what's on her backpack. I feel like that was a major deal when we were picking out backpacks at that age, so it's imperative that I know what hers looks like!

    Also, I don't blame you at all for crying on the way home. Pretty sure I would do the same thing and even just got all emotional reading this and looking at pictures. I can't believe she is old enough to be going to Kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was way sad when E didn't even look back. I cried on the way home too. :( These kids growing up is hard! I'm glad she's so independent though and that the only tears came from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was way sad when E didn't even look back. I cried on the way home too. :( These kids growing up is hard! I'm glad she's so independent though and that the only tears came from you. ;)

    ReplyDelete