Sunday, June 7, 2009

Logan Canyon: Wednesday

There is nothing that says "summer" like roughing it in the great outdoors. Okay... so maybe we didn't exactly "rough it." We sat at picnic tables. But that's a moot point. What I'm trying to say is... there's something about sitting in a canopy of huge trees, smelling the soddy, fresh smell of nature, and listening to the sounds of the rushing river that just screams summer.

And no, I'm not talking about the local park next to an infamous Logan canal. I'm talking about the one-and-only Logan Canyon. Three days in a row this past week were marked by one trip or another "up the canyon." When this authentic expanse of the great outdoors is only 15 minutes from our front door, it makes sense that we'd spend lots of time there.

It all started on Wednesday. Kevin was in serious need of a dinner break from studying for his summer school final. So we loaded up our itty bitty grill and headed up to Second Dam for a picnic. We didn't stay long, but we learned some important lessons about bringing a toddler to a spot like this. For example, it's not the brightest idea to leave her in a cute white shirt before going. THIS is why:




I also about had a heart attack numerous times as every time I glanced away, she took off pell-mell for the edge of the sidewalk. Sidewalk? What's wrong with a sidewalk? The answer to your ponderings can be found in this picture:

Notice the water. In particular, notice where the water's at in relation to the sidewalk. Are visions of drowning toddlers (or at the very least, soaking wet and freezing ones) flashing through your head? Because they were in mine.

One more thing. Lack of preparation is quite a bit more inconvenient with a kid - did you know? With no paper plates or utensils and no other food options, I had to figure out how to feed a one-year old a hamburger. I believe the look on my face explains it all...

And, for good measure, a few more cute pictures.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like Sadie had a good time despite not having a paper plate and getting her white shirt completely dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her defined little arm muscles. So cute. It's good to read your pointers on taking a toddler to the great outdoors because I believe we might venture to a picnic spot sometime soon. :) She's such a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should try Green Canyon. Just as fun with no water and more room for Sadie to run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh its going to be a fun summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie's hair is getting SO long! She is stinking adorable! I would be scared of the water too! :)

    ReplyDelete