Sunday, June 21, 2009

SUPER Dad

A couple of months ago as I was talking to Kevin about this blog, I referred to it as “my blog.” Realizing what I'd said, I quickly corrected myself and said, “I mean, our blog.” But it was too late. He caught my slip-up and proceeded to ponder on the fact that our blog was more than a little devoid of any Kevin and was plentiful with references to myself and Sadie. Oops.

So, Kevin. As a way to redeem myself, I am hereby devoting an entire blog post to you. Enjoy!


For those of you who don’t know the details of our current situation, let me give you a little background. Our day usually goes something like this: I wake up, feed and dress the kiddo, go to work. Kevin stays with kiddo until 2:00 rolls around and we switch places. Some days he goes straight to class, some days straight to work - poor guy. Sometimes he doesn't have either and we get to spend the rest of the day together (I love those days). As a result of all this, Sadie spends almost every weekday morning with her daddy. Now I'll admit that I most definitely feel like I have missed out on a little bit of Sadie’s life, sadly. I think every working mother feels that way to some degree. BUT I have never for one second worried that Sadie would miss out in any way.

That's because Kevin is Super Dad.



That lucky husband of mine gets to play Mister Mom for almost half of every weekday. He dresses, he feeds, he changes diapers, he plays, and he packs our very heavy and wiggly one-year old in and out of the car. He’s a pro at knowing what her current favorite foods are, what brand of diapers is best, what to pack in the diaper bag, and the theme song to Sadie's favorite TV show. He even knows how to calm her down during a tantrum. And he does it all with hardly a complaint. (Except for the messy diapers... he will forever and always complain about those. I’ve ruled that he’s allowed.)

I understand that most dads have a special bond with their kids. I don’t doubt that Kevin and Sadie would have a great relationship even if I were a full time stay-at-home mom. But the bond they have now is... different. More special, somehow. It’s the kind of bond that can only come from knowing that it's just you and your daddy, no one else, for part of every day. And Kevin has told me on more than one occasion how grateful he is for the way things have worked out for us because he loves the connection he has with his girl.

Now, I’m not trying to sound like one of the many mommy bloggers who raves about how she has a perfect human being for a husband. Because he’s not (sorry, hun). He’s got his faults, both as a husband and as a father, just like anyone else. But I am so incredibly grateful that he is my husband and Sadie’s father. He is exactly the right man for both jobs and I love him so very, very much in both roles.

Kevin, I love you! Thank you for being Super Dad. And thank you for loving this crazy, imperfect wife you have.

Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

  1. You're such a sweet wifey, Natalie. Sadie looks like an exact carbon copy of Kevin in that last picture! I'm glad things have worked out for you guys too. That working thing has to be hard in some ways, but that's so nice Kevin can be home with her. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I love this post! Those dad & Sadie pics are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all so lucky to have each other! We love you and are so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete