Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Yellowstone 2013

Well, our trip to Yellowstone was a good 3 weeks ago. But considering how many pictures I took, and the time it took to sort, edit, and upload them, I think it's lucky they're making it on here at all.

This trip was a bit different from the others we've been on. For one thing, it was just our little family this time. We also went a later in the year than usual, which made for way more obnoxious tourists, but also made for much more beautiful scenery. There was hardly any snow and I actually saw wildflowers! We had to adjust a lot of the normal routines to accommodate our kids. Considering we drove almost 1,200 (!!!) miles in a matter of four days, they did pretty well. (And by that, I mean they exploded in whines and crying during the last couple hours of our drive home.) The hardest thing about the whole trip was trying to find a good balance between doing Yellowstone the way Kevin is used to doing it (all wildlife searching, hardly any touristy stuff) and keeping the kids sufficiently entertained. I think we did pretty well and I also think it was good for Kevin to see a lot of the scenic stuff again through the eyes of his kids.

I debated about doing this in two posts, but what the heck - I might as well load it all into one, right?

Oh, and for the record - because this is the most important part to Kevin and it would be a travesty if I didn't put it down somewhere - we saw 18 bears, 4 bull elk, 3 wolves, a momma moose and her baby, and an assortment of foxes, coyotes, deer, big-horned sheep, mountain goats, and about a million buffalo.



 photo IMG_9461_edit_zpsbd4440dc.jpg
One of our many pit stops the first day. It was windy!

 photo IMG_9481_edit_zps9ef9619e.jpg
Bull elk in the velvet. Makes you kinda want to walk up and rub his antlers, huh?

 photo IMG_9492_edit_zpsb49fa776.jpg
Pretty sure this was the first bear we saw. Maybe the second?

 photo IMG_9575_edit_zps53a86cae.jpg
Another bear on Day 2. This one walked right past our car (with us safely inside, of course) so we got some great close-ups. Sadie was pretty excited to see this one.


 photo IMG_9588_edit_zpsa7957a57.jpg
Walking around Mammoth. It was windy again, obviously! 

 photo IMG_9598_edit_zpsd6ba8c70.jpg
The weather was entirely unpredictable the whole time we were there (which is normal), but we saw a lot more of these pretty blue skies than we normally do. 

 photo IMG_9601_edit_zpsa7baccff.jpg
Kevin - doing what Kevin does best in Yellowstone.

 photo IMG_9611_edit_zps0c7c100c.jpg
We ate most of our meals at picnic sites like this throughout the park. It's always risky depending on the aforementioned unpredictable weather, but this particular meal was pretty nice.

 photo IMG_9613_edit_zps3a77fed4.jpg
Walking around Norris Geyser Basin. This was the girls' first real experience with hot pots. Their verdict? "STINKY!!!"

 photo IMG_9626_edit_zps08256ea6.jpg
Don't be fooled by the cuteness of this picture. I'm pretty sure 5 seconds after it was taken, Ellie had a meltdown and insisted on being carried the entire way back to the car.

 photo IMG_9633_edit_zps92012dfd.jpg
Lower Falls. The girls got their own set of miniature binoculars as a souvenir and they LOVED them. They thought it was so cool that they could check things out just like daddy does.

 photo IMG_9636_edit_zpsb335147b.jpg
:) Silly girls.

 photo IMG_9640_edit_zpsc06ea57d.jpg

 photo IMG_9650_edit_zps724d8659.jpg
At another one of the waterfalls. Upper Falls, maybe? I can't keep them all straight!

 photo IMG_9651_edit_zps44d18584.jpg


 photo IMG_9685_edit_zps9aed1302.jpg
Hi mom!

 photo IMG_9694_edit_zpsbd4f0ffb.jpg
This little fox was wandering around one of our picnic sites. 

 photo IMG_9716_edit_zps3c780fc3.jpg
At the Mud Volcano hot pots. Seriously, Sadie walked around with her fingers pinching her nose almost the entire time. 

 photo IMG_9737_edit_zps8074169f.jpg
More bears! This dude was lounging by the river and we couldn't stop gawking at how HUGE he was. One of the biggest bears I've ever seen up close, that's for sure.

 photo IMG_9778_edit_zps201c9132.jpg
Kind of hard to tell, but this is a black momma bear and her two cinnamon-colored cubs. They were fun to watch.

 photo IMG_9854_edit_zps26a4acb8.jpg
See? Wildflower!

 photo IMG_9856_edit_zps0995ec53.jpg
Sadie loved the wildflowers too.

 photo IMG_9878_edit_zps1e5c0ced.jpg
Ellie and her BFF, "pups." 

 photo IMG_9881_edit_zpsa7e87ac3.jpg
Love these girls!

 photo IMG_9897_edit_zpsc2e3af99.jpg
Coyote. One of Kevin's favorite forms of entertainment is laughing at people who convince themselves and any gullible believers around that these are wolves. :)

 photo IMG_9918_edit_zps1c86fb5c.jpg
We saved Old Faithful for our last day. The weather was the most perfect I've ever seen it in Yellowstone, which also meant there were thousands of people waiting to watch Old Faithful erupt. No big deal, I'm just not used to it. It didn't disappoint, though. The girls thought it was awesome and that crystal-clear blue sky makes a gorgeous backdrop for the white water.

One of the funnest things we did was decide to rent bikes at Old Faithful and ride one of the nearby trails to see some hot pots. Sadie thought her little "train" bike was the most fun ever and she seriously laughed for the first five straight minutes. 

 photo IMG_9932_edit_zps7d52c575.jpg


 photo IMG_9936_edit_zpse246ee85.jpg
Ellie got to ride in a trailer behind Kevin and was totally content to hang out back there, enjoying the scenery.


 photo IMG_9929_edit_zps42c3a58a.jpg
One of our stops on the ride was the Morning Glory pool. Sadie was completely fascinated with it and all the colors. She was also very disturbed when we told her people sometimes throw garbage in there, which is why the colors aren't as pretty as they used to be. Just ask her - she'll tell you the whole story!

 photo IMG_9941_edit_zpsa11e7c30.jpg
The bike ride was long enough that poor exhausted Ellie zonked in the trailer right before we got back to Old Faithful. I know how she felt - by the end, we were all seriously ready for a nap!

3 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the girls with their sun glasses. Miss them like crazy! Your pretty pictures almost make me want to go to Yellowstone, Nat! Almost ;) And by the way you look so cute! Can't believe I haven't seen your cute little bump in person yet. :( Love ya, sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So THAT is the Morning Glory pool that I heard so much about! Don't know what it looked like before - but looks pretty cool now. The pics are awesome, the scenery is beautiful and the girls are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are beautiful! Your girls are getting so big! So cute! By the way you look so good, I had to check the date to make sure you were pregnant in these pics! So excited for you by the way!

    ReplyDelete