Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Broken Record

We've had a big reason to count our blessings in our little family. In all of Sadie's first 11 months of life, she had never been sick (unless you count a couple sniffly noses - I don't). Notice I use the past tense though. On Saturday she finally broke her healthy record, and it was not fun. Sadie came down with some kind of stomach bug. I was on the computer Saturday night trying to finish up some things for primary while she slept when I heard her give this weird cough. I walked over to her crib to check on her, and when I picked up her binky, it was covered with some kind of slime. Before I could register what it was, she threw up everywhere.

I, of course, panicked. It was so unexpected - she had been perfectly fine before I put her to bed and had been sleeping so contentedly. Not knowing what to do, I started running around trying to figure out what should be done first.


Do I start a bath? Do I take her out of her crib first? What if I get throw up all over the carpet? Do I pull the sheets off now, or after she's clean?
Did I also mention that I was all by myself? Kevin was working his usual night shift, so I was flying solo.


But I ended up being pretty impressed with myself. I got Sadie cleaned up and the sheets pulled off and replaced, all without a single gag over the smell. I guess I'm just full of hidden talents.


We went through that routine quite a few more times that night, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. She never had a fever and she went right back to sleep each time. She wasn't even cranky. Quite the opposite, actually.


It shouldn't be a surprise that she also passed the bug onto me and Kevin. While mommy was sick all day yesterday, Sadie proceeded to tear up the house...


And win over mommy's grudging forgiveness with some sweet smiles...


Honestly, I knew we had it coming. Having such a healthy baby was just too good to be true. But hopefully this can just be a blip on the radar and Sadie will go back to being the sickness-free baby she always has been.

No comments:

Post a Comment