Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Sabbath Day is an EXHAUSTING Day...

I'm feeling a need to vent about our Sundays. I'm sure you're rolling your eyes, thinking here she goes again. I obviously have a tendency to use this blog as more than a dumping ground for pictures of Sadie. Sorry about that. I'll include a couple pictures of Sadie at the bottom for those of you that are only here for that purpose. :)

Sunday was one of those days.

You know, the days that make you wonder WHY you ever thought procreating was a good idea in the first place?

First of all, I feel the need to make a disclaimer. In one of my previous posts, I said something about 9:00 church being troublesome. I retract that statement. It’s just church period with Sadie that makes me want to tear my hair out. Now that we've moved to one nap, being tired isn't her problem.

No, no... being tired is MY problem.

Physically tired from trying to accommodate a shifty, always-moving 20-pounder so she doesn't throw a fit from not being able to get down and walk around.
Emotionally tired from constantly worrying about whether her babbling, yelling, and whining is loud enough to constitute a trip to the foyer.
Spiritually tired from feeling guilty that not a word of anything that was said during those three hours was processed, let alone searched, pondered, or prayed. (But hey! I do still remember my Primary songs!)

I'll admit I don't experience the tiredness that comes with being a full-time mom too often. Probably because I'm not one - being at work for part of Sadie's day has a few small benefits, I guess. But on Sunday it hit me like a load of bricks. Chasing her around the Primary room, trying to teach a lesson over her jabbering and the kids' laughing because she's doing something silly. And then trying frantically to find things to entertain her during sacrament meeting while watching the minutes slug by. I repeat... tired!

There was one little highlight. (Hey, everything has a silver lining right?) Kevin got up to bear his testimony, and when he started talking at the pulpit, Sadie stood up, looked right up at him and started saying "dad!" "da da da dad!" while waving her arms excitedly at him. Made my heart melt into a giant oozy puddle. :) But then it was right back to whipping out the Cheerios and chasing toys that she had tossed across the aisle or under the bench.

Sigh.

You know what would be great? Nursery during sacrament meeting. Now there's an idea! I know, I know. I'd probably miss her. But it sure sounds like a great idea when she arches her back and slams her head into my chest for the hundreth time because she wants down.

Are there some magical methods out there for getting toddlers to sit still that I'm missing? Seriously.

Fascinated by the ducks at Willow Park

Showing her sense of style (?) with daddy's work tie.

7 comments:

  1. i am really not looking forward to church with a toddler! it's hard enough with a 6 month old...
    if you get any good advice, send it my way. :)
    sadie is a cutie--as always! that is so cute she was calling out to kevin during his testimony. i love the tie piture

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try it with 2. But if it helps I have yet to hear Saidie in church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so hard Natalie with kids in church and I have spent many days wondering why I even go when I get nothing out of it until our stake president said that if you just get taking the sacrament out of all the meetings than you are right on track. Just renewing those covenants is the whole purpose of church. So just remember as your child is screaming and being obnoxious, that if you get the sacrament you are right on track. Good luck, it only gets worse :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you at all for your sentiments. The only talks I hear at church are the ones I have to give. I can't wait until there's more than one child to keep quiet and under control...ugh... But look at the bright side, at least she gets to go to nursery eventually. Really, it's a life saver!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post makes me laugh. I sit in church every week thinking " I wish I had a baby", but I definitely don't think about how those babies become the toddlers that scream all during Sacrament meeting...I should start remembering that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once they're mobile it's all uphill...but counting down to nursery starts! The same thing happens with us and Alana. But we take turns. And we let her walk around during SUnday School and Relief Society. If you find anything that works, let me know. I'm making some flannel board things that I found at this website, so maybe that will help Alana. Good Luck!
    http://www.billybear4kids.com/Storyboards/LetsBegin.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our children are kindred spirits. Do you have a bruise on your chest from the arching back and slamming too? Church is so hard. I'm with you there. I feel guilty and tired because I never hear anything that is said and I feel like Emerson is the loudest child that has ever graced the halls of the church. If only we were in the same ward. Then we could chill in the hall together. And punish our kids together. :)

    ReplyDelete