Friday, June 11, 2010

A 2-year old perspective on parenting

Taking baby on a "walk" around the kitchen


It’s amazing the things you can learn about your parenting style by listening in on your 2-year old daughter’s conversations with her baby dolls.

Today as I was picking up our living room, I heard Sadie talking on the stairs. I sneakily edged closer to eavesdrop. She had her baby perched on the third stair and was giving her a lecture. Why the third stair? That’s where Sadie sits for time out. Starting to see where this is going?

The lecture went as follows:

“Baby, listen. Listen to me. Listen. No crying. Time out, then baby happy!” (Almost exactly what I say to her when I put her in time out and she’s screaming. With a little more sentence structure added in, of course.)

She then went on with different methods of comfort and/or scolding:

“Baby, no be sad.”

“No crying. Stop now.”

“Baby, be good? Okay.”

And finally… “Poor baby. Crying. I give bottle and blankie and toy.”

I didn’t know whether to laugh or be mortified. Okay, yes. We are regular users of time out at our house. I’m a big believer in it and it works great for us (most the time). But do we really do it so often that Sadie feels the need to act it out with her dolls? Sheesh.

On the other hand… am I terrible to think it’s cute that she’s acting all authoritative with her dolls? I’m getting a premonition that she’s going to be the perfect bossy big sister... just like her mommy was. :)

7 comments:

  1. so cute! I think that means you're doing a good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Sometimes I burst into laughter when I hear Halle mothering her babies (or her brother). But other times I am mortified by how much she sounds like me, and that's not always a good thing.

    By the way, I love the Krispy Kreme hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, I don't really know what's normal when it comes to responding to blog comments. I wrote the following on my blog, but you probably don't check back and read all the comments, so I figured I'd post it here. So...yeah...

    The Welker boys are identical? That's funny because I just convinced myself yesterday in Primary that they weren't...haha. I think you're right about the Johnson girls. They do look a lot alike. Well, maybe our girls will be the odd ones out! Who knows though, they could still be identical!

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s. I creepily stared at Sadie a LOT while sitting on the stand on Sunday. I hope you didn't notice my creepiness, but I can't get over how adorable she is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Krispy Kreme hat is a MUST when it comes to mothering our children. We must teach them young about the good things in life!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The KrispyKreams hat adds to the fact that she'll be a good parent one day...knowing the essential food groups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I didn't mean to copy what your mom just said---I didn't read her comment until after! Oops!

    ReplyDelete