Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Riding the Horses

My birthday was last week and Kevin was desperate for something fun and different to do. Since we live in Cache Valley, sometimes finding something different can be a bit, well...challenging. But he was determined and so ended up deciding to take us horse-back riding.

Now before I go any further, let me just say that I am extremely allergic to horses. And cats and most dogs and basically any other mammal that sheds its hair. It pretty much sucks because with the exception of cats (NOT a cat person), I really like animals. My body disagrees, unfortunately, and reacts with the most ridiculous sneezing, watery and itchy-eyed, hives-breaking-out, lungs-closing off episode you've ever seen. 

I know - quite the sob story, isn't it?

So you can imagine that I was a little hesitant when he presented me with his plan. Allergy attack on my birthday? But on the other hand, I really, really like horses. And I've only been riding once in my life at a youth conference years ago. I barely remember the aftermath of that one thanks to a large dose of Benadryl, but I remember the actual riding was fun. 

So...I agreed. One Claritin later, there we were at Kevin's cousin's grandpa's (whew - say that 10 times fast!) ranch. And I rode the horse. And I had an allergy attack. That part was a bit miserable, but I survived and riding the horse was really fun. Every sneeze was 100% worth it when I saw the look on the kids' faces. They loved those horses. Loved them. Ellie kept saying, "hi horse!" and "aww...cute horse" over and over again. Sadie couldn't wait to get on one. 

All in all, it was a great birthday adventure. And I have to give a shout-out to Kevin's cousin for taking us (I think she reads this sometimes...). Thanks Heidi!!! 








2 comments:

  1. How fun! Allergies.. not so fun, but glad you had a good time anyway! The looks on your girls' faces is priceless. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least the attack came after the cute pictures! Looks like fun - girls look like they are loving it!

    ReplyDelete