Now that Ellie is officially the last kid known to humankind
who is 2 ½ years old and still in a crib, we've decided to just bite the
bullet. We finally switched her over to a toddler bed on Sunday.
Honestly, I probably would have kept her in a crib until she was
three, but it occurred to me not long ago that if I want to even consider potty
training her any time in the near (or maybe not-so-near) future, she probably
needed to be in a bed she could actually climb out of. (Darn!)
So, fine. We did it. Every other kid her age has been in a
toddler bed for months, but we’re just getting around to it. It’s only been
five days, and so far it's been going okay. I really tried to prepare myself before we did this, knowing that it could be a Sadie situation all over again. When
we switched Sadie to a big bed, that was it. That was the beginning of a
lightning-fast decline in her naps. (So can you see why I kept Ellie contained
as long as possible? Experience, people!)
Ellie has actually taken a nap three of the five days we've been at this. That's not great, but I'll take it. And for her to fall asleep on those three days, I had to actually be in the room with her. That means sitting next to her bed in
silence for at least 10 minutes of my afternoon, hum-hawing and trying to find
something meaningful to ponder so I don’t get too bored. (My next DIY project? The health benefits of the Kraft mac and cheese we ate for lunch this afternoon? Why that Barbie on the floor is using a dirty diaper for a pillow?) But hey – it’s 10
minutes. If that 10 minutes means 2 hours of nap time, I’M SO THERE.
Like I said, I'm trying to prepare myself for the looming promise of a serious drop-off in nap time. We survived it with Sadie and we'll survive it with Ellie. Thank the heavens for Quiet Time to maintain my sanity! ;)
Sunday night: the Big Bed Switch-over. The girls were hyyyyyper!

Since then, they think the "new" bed is the cool hangout spot. This is where they play Barbies, put on little performances, and cozy up to peruse a pile of books.



Have I ever told you how much I love reading your blog? I really love the way you write and to hear your fun stories:) Thanks for sharing!!
ReplyDeleteSo cute! I'm pretty sure I have almost that exact picture of you laying on your back, legs crossed and reading a book! Like mother - like daughter!
ReplyDeleteI think it's perfectly reasonable to keep your toddler in a crib as long as possible. Sammi has been in a bed for too long and naps HAVE been suffering. I had no choice though, because she kept climbing out and I was worried she would break her arm like her little friend did. So I don't think you should feel bad one bit you've kept her in a crib! You are a wise mom.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the big step! Charli is still in her crib, and we're potty training (her choice thankfully), but naps are history. Boo!! I'm going a bit crazy as we don't have quiet time down yet, but at least days are only 12 hours before she crashes hard. Always love reading what's happening for you and your family. :D
ReplyDelete