And then there's Ellie.
I know it's one of the biggest cliches in the business, but it still sometimes floors me - every kid is so different. We've been at this since Monday and Ellie has mostly been...dare I say it? Kind of easy. Yeah, I know that's going to make someone out there want to smack me. I totally understand. I can't explain it. I don't have a magical solution. I've decided there really isn't one. There are lots of good suggestions, many of which we took advantage of, but it all really just comes down to the kid and their personality. Finding what's going to motivate them.
For Ellie, it was riding the wave of this newfound burst of crazy independence she's been having. She's extremely stubborn lately and insists on doing every little thing herself. Add in Elmo's Potty Time DVD (oh brother - talk about a show that cracks. me. up.), some princess underwear that she's been dying to wear, and some treats to feed her insane sweet tooth weakness, and I think it's safe to say by now that we have success.
Another thing that's been a huge factor? Sadie. Sadie's been great for months about taking Ellie with her into the bathroom when she goes. They tend to have a grand old time in there, laughing and being silly. I think that really helped Ellie feel comfortable with the whole thing.
Don't get me wrong - we've had accidents. On the first day, quite a few of them. I actually tried out "naked" potty training for the first few hours (which is basically just keeping her in a bare bum all the time) and kept her in the kitchen so the mess wasn't as bad to clean up. But wearing the underwear ended up being a big motivation, so I put those on her after awhile. By the end of day one, she was starting to tell me when she needed to go. By day two, she was really doing well with only one or two accidents (one of them a poop accident, which we're still working on - she's only one for three in that category). She's been steadily getting better and today and yesterday were accident-free! We even ventured out of the house yesterday for story time at the library.
I seriously want to keep pinching myself. I had no idea it really was possible for it not to be a drawn-out, dramatic, tear-infused test of wills. But I'm so relieved. Really, I was totally prepared to back out of it if she started showing signs of acting like Sadie. I'm so glad I didn't have to. And now we can begin the long road to being totally potty-independent. Using public restrooms, remembering to go when she's busy playing, getting through the night, pooping consistently :) ...we still have a long way to go. But hey, we've got a good start!
I had some really cute naked bum pics, but I probably should stick with these on the wonderful world wide web. :)
Playing with play dough was one of the things that kept them in the kitchen and occupied on Monday.
Sadie giving a stern talking-to to whatever happens to be in her hand...
Another way we kept her occupied... ;)




Ellie has had lots of big changes lately, well her big girl bed and now going potty!! I'm so happy that she was easier than Sadie! Moms need a nice surprise like that once in a while:)
ReplyDeleteI've been potty training Sammi too! I love those cute little underwear bums. It looks like they have the same princess underwear. :) I just don't like potty training, period.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! My #2 was so much easier than #1. #2 is dry All the Time while #1 still wears Pull-ups to bed.
ReplyDeleteGood job Ellie! You are such a good Mom, and maybe it's just easier because it was so hard with Sadie. Have you broken out the potty watch yet? I think that was my favorite part of Sadie's potty training!
ReplyDeleteAww...I forgot about the potty watch! I actually have no idea where it is. And Ellie has been pretty good about reminding ME she needs to go, so it's probably too late anyway. But good memory!
DeleteYay! Way to go Ellie! We're taking it slow cause we've discovered that Charli does what Charli wants and WHEN she wants. Thankfully she does have the desire! Hope it continues on for you!
ReplyDeleteGOOOOO Ellie! And YAY for you Nat! That is awesome that she is so easy! Kate is EXACTLY like Sadie and only now, at 3 years and 3 months do I consider Kate potty trained! You deserve an easy trainer after Sadie! I deserve one, too so I hope my next one will be just like Ellie! :)
ReplyDelete