My baby is six years old. My oldest baby, that is. I
had to dig out some old pictures for her classroom spotlight on Friday and I
sat and giggled over her baby pictures for quite some time. Six years makes a
big difference…
Speaking of that classroom spotlight, it really got to me.
In her class, they call it “hero day.”
Sadie got to be the line leader all day, got to wear a cool hat and,
best of all, I got to come in and talk to the class about why Sadie is our hero. See? Just typing that line
makes me teary-eyed. I sat in front of that Kindergarten class fighting back
tears because I just love that kid so dang much. She IS my hero, in every sense
of the word. She’s brave, silly, smart, and most of all, she’s so incredibly
kind and thoughtful to every single person she meets. In fact, both her teacher
and I agreed that her best quality is her ability to make friends and
be a leader. Her teacher even told me as I was getting ready to leave that the
kids in her class fight over who gets to sit by her, play with her,
and be her friend. It didn’t surprise me in the least. She is so genuine and
thoughtful. How could they not love her?
Before I get to her birthday interview questions, I wanted
to record a few things about Sadie at this age.
She loves school. I think a lot of that is for social reasons,
but she really does love learning. Her reading is getting a little bit better
every day and it’s so fun to hear her read through her little beginning reader books
she brings home from school. She’s also been doing really well with her math
unit. If you ask her, though, she’ll usually tell you that her favorite part
about school is free time or the library trips.
She is such a good big sister. She adores her sisters (even
Ellie, despite the 1,569 fights they get into in a day) and assumes her role of
little mother very well.
She has lost two teeth! The first was in October and the tooth fairy brought her two sparkly dollars and a sparkly receipt. The second one came out a month later. Her little gappy-toothed smile is so grown-up looking, I can hardly stand it. Wasn't it just yesterday those teeth were coming in, causing her to drool up an ocean?!
She also got glasses in October. It probably deserves its own post, but basically she failed the eye exam at school and we found out she's far-sighted. (And being far-sighted is way different than I always thought it was.) She had a really hard time with them at first, but now her eyes have adjusted and I can tell that she prefers to have them on most the time.
She has lost two teeth! The first was in October and the tooth fairy brought her two sparkly dollars and a sparkly receipt. The second one came out a month later. Her little gappy-toothed smile is so grown-up looking, I can hardly stand it. Wasn't it just yesterday those teeth were coming in, causing her to drool up an ocean?!
One of her favorite pastimes lately is making up her own
songs. Ellie does this too, in fact, and they can put on quite the little duet
of jumbled lyrics and a made-up tune. But my favorite is when Sadie asks to
sing Avery lullabies when she’s upset. She sits next to her, snuggles her up
with whatever blankets and toys are nearby and sings her little heart out to
her.
I think I’ve mentioned it before here, but one of Sadie’s
trademarks is her notes. She loves to “write” notes to people and draw
pictures. If she gets the slightest hint that anyone we know might be in need
of a bit of TLC, she immediately pulls out some paper and makes them a note. If
grandma and grandpa are coming to visit, she makes them a note. If mommy
sneezes twice in a row…you guessed it. I get a note. I love it and just wish I
could keep every single one of them. (Just don’t tell Sadie that the majority
of them end up snuck into the trash. That sounds terrible, but there’s just no
way I can keep them all.)
And now for a little bit of Sadie from the mouth of the birthday
girl herself.
Who is your favorite person in the whole world? Heavenly
Father and Jesus and the Holy Ghost
What is your favorite color? Pink, blue, purple (mostly
blue)
What’s your favorite TV show? Sophia the First
What’s your favorite outfit? My pink sweater
What sport do you like best? Dance
What song do you love? A Child’s Prayer
What’s your favorite cereal? Reese’s Puffs
Who is your best friend? Lily and Brookley, Alyssa and Emma
What do you want to be when you grow up? A baby doctor
What is your favorite book? On the Night You Were Born
What are you really good at? “Fistling” (Whistling)
Where do you wish you could go on vacation? Hawaii
What is your best memory? When mom had Avery
What would you buy if you had $1000? The Frozen castle
What vegetable do you hate the most? Lettuce
If you could have a wish, what would it be? That there could
be a beautiful rainbow outside.
What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? Vanilla with
caramel
Who is your biggest hero? My friends
What do you hope you’ll get to do before your next birthday?
Go to grandma and grandpa’s house.
Happy Birthday, my beautiful girl! We love you!









I love how you ask her these questions. I think I'll start it with Ruby this year when she turns 5 :) I can't believe we are old enough to each have 3 kids! I swear we were beehives just a few years ago!!!
ReplyDeleteI love these girls so much! I especially love the posts that are specific to one - gives me a minute to think about just one at a time. Little Miss Sadie is such a ray of sunshine - love her so much and the beautiful girl she is growing into. Happy 6th Sadie Shay! Your grandma loves you more than you'll ever know!
ReplyDelete