Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter... and all its ups and downs

Whew! What an Easter!

We've come to the conclusion that Sadie + Easter = monster melt downs at church. Last year, we deserted sacrament meeting because she wouldn't stop screaming, no matter how much effort we put onto our then-perfected pacing and bouncing. This year? Let's just say I'm sure our ward is wondering what got into our tiny little shrieking banshee. I'm not sure what the problem is. Could it be the pleasant Easter music? The pretty dress and cute bows? The nice, reverent atmosphere as the rest of Christendom reflects on the Savior's resurrection?

I know. It's a mystery to me too.

But let me back up a bit. The first part of the weekend was quite pleasant! Since rainy, wet weather foiled our plans to go to Baby Animal Days, we instead journeyed up to good old Poky, Idaho to visit Sadie's great-grandma and grandpa Moose. We even found an Easter bunny at the local mall. In true Sadie fashion, she absolutely loved him and kept us cracking up as she gave him a big hug and then tried to poke her little hand in his "mouth." Poor guy... ahem, I mean bunny.



Since we got back from Idaho Saturday night just in time for Kevin to go to work, our Easter was a little backwards. We all crashed and took naps right after church (believe me, they were needed). Then we got up and Kevin proved he has some serious BBQing skills when he made the most delicious batch of ribs I've ever tasted. Seriously, melt-in-your mouth goodness!


You can see why we don't BBQ very often. We're not allowed to do it on any pavement, so Kev improvised. :)



After dinner, we finally got around to the true Easter festivities:


Sadie's first taste of Peeps. Look at those chipmunk cheeks!


And last, but not least, was some much-needed outdoor time:


Overall, it really was a good day. Despite Sadie's up-and-down mood, we really did enjoy our first Easter with a toddler old enough to participate. I thought the grin would permanently stretch my face out (and my finger would break from taking so many pictures) as we watched her go on her first Easter egg hunt around the living room, placing each egg in her basket (sometimes carefully, sometimes not). And the delight on her face as she stuffed her first Peep in her mouth was priceless. Ah, the joys of childhood. :)

P.S. Sadie really did have a very cute Easter dress, but due to the craziness of the day, I never got her back in it after church to take pictures. Those will be coming soon. Promise!

5 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say that your hair looks really cute in those pics!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you dye your hair? It looks darker..I like it! P.S. cute Easter bunny pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First I have to agree with everyone else, love your hair! It's getting so long. And so is Sadie's! I love the picture of her hugging the bunny (the stuffed one), although the picture of her sitting on the Easter bunny's lap is classic. So cute. Looks like you had a fun time, minus the meltdown. Tell Kevin I'd like to try some of those ribs sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh she is such a doll! I'm sorry about the shrieking banshee thing. I can feel one of those coming on any day now from you-know-who. She looks so much like a little girl already! I can't believe it. I can't wait to see the Easter dress pictures. It looks like you guys had an awesome Easter. And way to go on the ribs, Kevin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Church wasn't THAT bad was it? ;) As for the ribs...I won't tell Lanny if you won't! We've had to dutch oven out in the street to avoid charcoal marks! Street is public property right!?

    ReplyDelete