So, for your reading pleasure, here are some of the most quirky things that come with my job:
There’s the lady who whispers every conversation. I swear, it’s as if she’s divulging some top-secret plan to bomb the building next week and it’s of the utmost importance that the person in the next cubicle doesn’t hear. Now I don’t know about you, but when someone’s whispering to someone in the next cubicle, I’m more inclined to crane my neck to try to hear what they’re saying. Because, you know, I might just be the sole witness who caught a snatch of the conversation and can heroically save everyone from being blown up. Just saying.
There are not one, not two, but three people who laugh like hyenas. Loudly - and often!
The women have a tendency to go to the bathroom in the dark. That’s right. I regularly walk into the women’s restroom to find someone performing their...um...duties without any lights on. Is it just me, or is that weird? The worst thing is that I feel like I’m interrupting their dark-room meditation if I walk in and flip the lights on. So instead, I sulk to the next stall and do my thing in the dark also. Because I’m just a chicken like that.
People send me emails all the time with content such as the following: “Do you happen to know where such-and-such file is?” This might not seem so bad until you take into account that that person happens to be sitting two feet away from me. Really. Is it that hard to simply turn your head and talk to me? In the time it took you to type that email, press send, and then wait for me to stifle a laugh and send a response back to you, you could have asked the question, received a quick response, and gone to the bathroom in the dark.
As is the case with most cubicle settings, I get to hear everyone’s telephone conversations. One day, I sat and listened for half an hour as the lady next to me ranted and raved to her husband, and then a veterinarian, and then her husband again about how their exotic bird had a hernia so its insides were falling out and it needed a hysterectomy and should we keep her overnight at the hospital to watch her? Will we have to take an IV home with us the next day? A hospital bed? Home healthcare nurses? Note to self: never own a bird. Ever.
I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. Part of me will miss this funny place when I finally get to quit. But I’ll mostly just be grateful to not have any inhibitions about turning the light on when I go to the bathroom.

And you know what? I think Sadie knows just how I feel. :)
Ha ha ha!! I love the funny quirks of jobs! My boss has "Michael" moments where he likes to re-enact the office for us...we have windows in-between my office and his and I get the little escalator walk ALL THE TIME! It's so funny! I won't miss working, but I sure will miss the crazy peeps I work with!
ReplyDeleteP.S. the bathroom in the dark thing is WAY weird. You should flip the light on... :)
agreed! the bathroom thing is just weird! :) Sounds like you never have a dull moment though. and what's the deal with the bird? unless it was more the $2k...it's probably not worth it to do that kind of thing...and who pays $2k for a bird? ;)
ReplyDeleteHa! Ha! My job isn't nearly that exciting! You have the best stories! The funny thing is that I tease Jeremy about how lucky girls are that they can actually go to the bathroom in the dark. But it's weird at work.
ReplyDeleteOh working girls rock!! I also enjoy working right now. I love being just myself, and feeling like I conrtibute to society in a wierd way. I laughed out loud at the part about your co=workers laughing. I know so many poeple like that and I just want to record them and have them listen to themselves. We all have Crazies around us. Especailly NEIGHBORS!! just kidding
ReplyDeleteOh please. Cold hearted? Definitely not. You're a wonderful mother! Your story telling skills just kill me. I wish we worked together and then we could go to the bathroom in the dark together. Ha ha, jk. That is totally weird. I'm totally like you though. I'd be a chicken and do my thing in the dark as well. Sounds like a pretty interesting place to work.
ReplyDeleteHow funny. I always thought your job was boring...that's why you were on the computer all of the time! boy was I wrong! I'd take that over my job of crazy old people any day!...well maybe not the hyena ladies, or the black out bathroom breaks!
ReplyDelete