This is it. We're officially becoming one of those families that can only "travel" on Spring Break. We had five blissful years of being able to take off any weekday we wanted (work schedules allowed, of course) and now we've got two kids stuck in school. It's just that time of life we're in now, but I'm going to miss the freedom we enjoyed at this time last year.
We didn't do anything super exciting for our spring break, mind you. Kevin had to attend his big annual food show in the middle of the week, so we ended up spending almost six days in Salt Lake and West Valley. On the one hand, it was nice that we didn't have to pull Sadie and Ellie out of school in order to go. On the other hand, I had kind of been hoping to go somewhere a little more adventurous for our one week-long break. But it ended up being fun and relaxing, so I suppose I can't complain.
The food show is a CRAZY two-day event, but the best part is that Kevin's work gets hotel rooms for all the employees at the Little America in Salt Lake and pay for a really nice dinner for everyone on the first night. Kevin and I have made it a tradition to leave the kids with my parents while we enjoy a (very rare) get-away just the two of us. I didn't take any pictures of the whole event, but I did force Kevin to stop and document the fact that it did, indeed, happen before we packed up and left. We missed our kids, but man it was nice to get a full night of sleep uninterrupted by a crying baby!
After the food show, my parents had to go back to work for a day, so we decided to make our way over to Hogle Zoo for a little family outing. I don't know if it's just bad timing on our part, but I've never been overly impressed with Hogle Zoo. It seems like the good animals are always either sleeping or "off exhibit" when we go and I swear it's constantly under construction somewhere. For the ridiculous price you pay to get in, I've never thought it's worth it. And we weren't prepared with a stroller, so after a quick trip to a nearby Target where the ONLY umbrella stroller they had was one with punk skateboards all over it, I wasn't in the greatest mood to begin with.
At least the kids had fun...?
Kevin and I also got to go to a Jazz game while we were there. My experience with the Jazz has always been one of watching from the nose-bleed section. This wasn't just any game, though. Kev was generously offered some VIP tickets from a vendor at work and we watched the game from the front row! Honestly, it was awesome. I didn't even care that the Jazz sucked and the team they played sucked just as badly. We were right behind the opposing team's bench and everything was like hi-def 3D. Not to mention we got dinner before and snacks during halftime in a special VIP room. It was kind of fun to feel "special" for a night.
The rest of the weekend consisted of sitting around being lazy and watching General Conference. Not much else noteworthy happened unless you count this little girl deciding to sit up unassisted for the first time for more than a few seconds. Yes, it was quite exciting.












Fun! Even one night away is awesome! I hope you feel rested after that. One day us moms will be able to take a big long tropical vacation....someday.
ReplyDeleteI think that spending spring break in Salt Lake was the BEST.IDEA.EVER! Loved having you all around for the week!
ReplyDelete