Wednesday, January 2, 2008

37 Weeks

I thought today deserved a posting since I have officially reached my 37-week milestone. That's right - little baby Humpherys (NO we haven't decided on a name yet) is now exactly 3 weeks from her due date. My belly feels like it's being stretched to its max! These pictures are of me and my grandpa at our family Christmas party - it's tradition for the grandkids to compare bellies with him to see whose is bigger (grandpa usually still wins). This was taken 2 weeks ago, but I'm still about the same size.

The knowledge that she could come at any time and be full-term and perfectly healthy is both exciting and nerve-wracking. I'm starting to have moments of brief panic where I realize that very soon this round belly of mine is going to be converted (putting it delicately!) to a tiny living, breathing human being. That reality only sank in deeper at our doctor's appointment last Friday. After examining me, the doctor declared that I am 2 cm. dilated and 50% effaced and that the baby has conveniently dropped head-down into position. In other words, she's gung-ho and ready to go! Unfortunately, the doctor also assured me that dilation and dropping are not necessarily signs that labor is close. Apparently baby can still dawdle in there for another 3 weeks or longer if she so chooses. My guess? She's going to take her sweet time and probably be late. That's just a hunch - I hope I'm wrong because I'm already tired of the waiting!

1 comment:

  1. I remember the relief I felt when I hit that milestone. It was such a comfort to know that she would probably be healthy. You, however, are progressing much better than I did. The night beforey I delivered I was still only dilated to a one and 50% effaced.

    ReplyDelete