Sunday, July 12, 2009

A Slice of Humble Pie

I've decided Heavenly Father made me a mother to give me a good, ripe dose of humility. You know how before you have a kid, you look at other kids throwing a tantrum in the middle of the grocery store and you say, "I'll never let my kid act that way?" Or you make secret, furtive promises that your kid will be the smartest, most well-kept, perfect child? And then you have a kid. And you realize it's not that simple. Because kids are surprisingly strong-willed and will act however they darn well please.


Well, I had one of those experiences today. I decided to take Sadie to nursery for the first time today because she'll be 18 months a week from tomorrow (!!!) and Kevin and I were both going to be busy for the first hour of church. I walked in full of confidence because my daughter isn't the cling-to-mommy type and she loves kids. What could go wrong?


I ate my words (or my thoughts, as it were). Big time. Like I said, humility.


Five minutes into opening exercises, I heard frantic screaming coming from the hallway and I thought, "Don't let that be Sadie, don't let that be Sadie." No such luck. Apparently, as the (poor) nursery leader explained, all the adults coming in to drop off their kids made her freak out. So I'm thinking, "Okay, that's not so bad. It was just the adults that scared her. I'll take her back in before Sunday School." Wrong again. Five minutes after leaving her, same thing.


Soooo... I think it's safe to say I'm totally caught off guard. I assumed transition to nursery would be a breeze, and now I have to re-think the whole situation. And I'm realizing that all those people that warned me that 18 months is the age where kids tend to go through a stranger anxiety stage were right. Should've listened.


And the tantrum scenario? Let's just say we had a couple of those moments in church too. I'm serious. Combined with the nursery situation, I think it's safe to say Natalie has had a hefty slice of humble pie today.


Let's hope next week goes better...

9 comments:

  1. I sure hope it works better for you than me. I've been taking Jace to nursery for 3 months now and he still screams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry I too always said those things. Kids change everything don't they regarding perspective. Good luck, she will get the hand of it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand what you mean about having to eat your words about all the things you said (or thought) about kids BEFORE becoming a parent!

    I'm just as surprised as you were about Sadie's reaction to nursery. She's such a friendly, social little girl. I have to laugh, though, when you talk about hearing Sadie scream from down the hallway. That girl and her amazing lungs!! Don't worry, just knowing Sadie, she'll soon love nursery and you'll be the one crying as you drop her off because she'll run into the room without even giving you so much as a backward glance.

    I just can't believe she's old enough for nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel too bad nat! :) Being a nursery leader has definitely changed my perspective...and one thing that I would change...is I think they should start nursery earlier! :) I have a lot of parents who have 14 month old babies, and they do great! For some reason once they hit 18 months, the have issues with leaving their parents. But I think it's pretty much every child who screams. If there's a parent who comes and gets their kid, it makes at lease 2 others start crying. ha! :) Just keep taking her, and she'll get into the routine. :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i totally agree!!! i worked in the infant/toddler rooms at a daycare before i had aiden and i always thought the same things..."my child will NEVER act/talk/eat/sleep/etc. like this!" and now my baby already does a lot of those things i said he'd never do...ugg. if these kids weren't so cute it would be hard to handle them, eh? :) sadie is so stinkin' adorable!!!

    by the way, heritage makers is a fun website but yeah, you do have to have a membership to get the really cute stuff. anytime you buy something, you get 1 month of free membership. when i had my heritage makers party, i got a half priced item just for hosting so since i bought something, i got a free month of premier membership. i hate that you have to pay for it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh great. You've totally undermined all confidence I had that Emerson would be fine. I guess I'll terminate the countdown to relief. :) She's so cute though, how could you expect anything less than perfection? I hope she does better, Natalie, because I'm going to need all the advice you can give me in 3 more months! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man! My kid will never be like that...ha ha ha!! JK! My sister is about to go through the same thing with my niece...you guys should commiserate! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, I never did care for that kind of pie! :) I'm so sorry Nat! If anything I can learn from your mistakes because I look at parents all the time like you did! Actually, I always think that I'll end up jinxing myself when I do that... looks like maybe I will so I better cut it out! :) For what it's worth, the times I've seen you with Sadie I think you're a GREAT momma and Sadie is a sweetie so everything will work out... it always does! :D (But it's still pretty hard waiting for it "work out"! :))

    ReplyDelete