Monday, August 3, 2009

Dirt Queen and Camping Fun

I love summer. Have I mentioned that? And one of my favorite parts of summer is camping! I'm talking down-in-the dirt, tent-sleeping, freezing-your-toes-off, huddle-around-the-campfire camping.

Okay, so we didn't exactly freeze. We had beautiful weather, actually. But my toes did get a little chilly that night. Last week, we celebrated the 24th by heading to Tony Grove with Boyd, Ann, Halle, and Sam (Kev's brother and his family). I had found a campsite online and was totally stoked at finding something so last minute for the 24th of July. Turns out it hadn't been reserved for a reason. This was the most impractical campsite I have ever seen in my life. The picnic table/campfire set up was located up an almost vertical (I swear) hill from our cars and our tent site was up another Mount Everest from the table. Not so bad if you just have adults. But poor Sadie could not wrap her mind around the fact that that steep hill over there? That means certain stumbling, falling, and rolling. In the dirt. Needless to say, she was dirty (oh, so dirty) and a little scratched up. She finally figured out that rather than running around to explore and falling on her bum, she might as well park on that little bum and play with the dirt around her.

We dub her "dirt queen:"

We also tried out Tony Grove lake by our campsite. We started out trying to tell the kids "look but don't touch."

That didn't last long...

Beautiful, isn't it? Perfect definition of "serene mountain lake," if you ask me.

The other breathtaking part of the scenery was the wildflowers. I don't think I've ever seen so many different kinds all at once (not in desert Utah, anyway). I think everyone thought I was a bit of a dork for how excited I was about the flowers, but I loved them. I also love taking pics of Sadie's little hands - can you tell?

It was one of the best trips we've been on all summer, and we loved hanging with the family. It was definitely worth the hilariously filthy, dirty creature of a daughter we packed home the next day.

5 comments:

  1. Yay for camping! I miss Logan so much, and mainly for that reason! I've never been to Tony Grove though. Always Green Canyon or Constellation Canyon (Hyde Park). Sure looks like Sadie enjoyed it though! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. VICTORY for Sadie! I think she definitely wins dirt queen! I laughed SO HARD when I saw pictures of that sweet dirt-covered girl of yours! How funny! Oh I MISS UTAH!!! All we have in Virginia is TREES! I miss my mountains! :( I guess VA has a few but they are way far away from us and not the same AT ALL! Did I already tell you someone in my family is having a shower for me on Aug. 18th or 19th (not sure which yet:)) but if you can't make it we will be in Logan from Aug. 11-15 or 16 so we should for sure do something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh...that is so awesome! You know...that's pretty much what I always looked like when I came home from girls camp. Ha! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those dirt pictures, they're adorable! Looks like a blast, and her 18 month pics turned out adorable, she's such a doll!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, I bet it was satisfying to give her a bath when you got home! It sounds like you had a good time--death hill and all! Does she do really well camping? Do you guys squeeze the pack'n'play in your tent? We've only been once with e so I was just wondering how you seasoned campers do it. I think he's at such a hard age for stuff like that. Not big enough to run around by himself because of all the roots and rocks that make for uneven terrain, but he CERTAINLY doesn't want to sit still either. I may have let out a few growls myself.

    ReplyDelete