Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Day in the Small Town World

Wellsville Founders Day - the epitome of Cache Valley summer. Everything from the parade to the Sham Battle reenactment to the gigantic picnic on the tabernacle lawn has “small town” written all over it.

I like it, though. Even though I tend to snicker at some of the funnier parts of the whole day (chubby middle-aged man with chest painted red pretending to be an Indian??), I love the camaraderie everywhere you turn. Everyone in that town knows everyone - not even kidding.

It helps that I have family ties in Wellsville. Part of me feels like I belong there. A good chunk of the graves in the cemetery sport my maiden name and my ancestors played a big part in the town's founding. I have Wellsville in my blood, I guess you could say. So despite the humble (read: slightly lame) parade and the historic (read: corny) Sham Battle, I had a great time. So did Sadie. Kevin, unfortunately, had to work (can I just mention how desperate we are for a job that doesn’t require working holidays?! Ugh.)



This is one of my favorite pictures of the day. The parade started out with the "cowboys" and "indians" (big emphasis on the quotation marks there) shooting their guns in the air. Sadie couldn't figure out what all the noise and big clouds of smoke in the air was about. Neither could my mom, apparently. :)

Watching the cowboys and indians act like crazy little kids. My thoughts exactly, Sade.


All the noise finally got to her and she had to snuggle into grandma's shoulder and clutch her baby for comfort.

Once the crazies with their guns passed us by, Sadie finally got to discover the joys of chasing candy at the parade. I love how she's got like three pieces clutched in each of her little hands.

Enjoying a Tootsie Roll
Being bored at the Sham Battle with grandpa. There was a surprisingly huge crowd and we were five rows back, which means we couldn't see a thing...

...and this is what we were "missing out on" (taken by holding my camera high over everyone's head). Every year they burn a cabin just like that one. The fire is by far the best part. The rest of it is a bunch of people riding around on horses pretending to be the bad guys and the good guys. It's a blast, I'm telling ya!

Later, we went to the house of one of my distant relatives for dessert. Sadie got to swing on their baby swing out front and was in heaven!


She also got to enjoy a chocolate chip cookie. Mmm... chocolate.


Photobucket
And THIS, my friends, wins the award for cutest picture ever. Who wants kisses?!

4 comments:

  1. What cute pictures! :) And I can totally relate with the job where you ALWAYS work holidays...that's Randy's. Perhaps one day he'll have weekends and holidays off...we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do I do! What a cutie. I'm sad I had to miss the cabin burning. I miss Cache Valley A LOT. Maybe Emerson will catch on to the candy gathering thing. I get so embarrassed scrambling for candy myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute Nat! Whenever I drove through the canyon and you can first spot the valley, I feel a sigh of relief from being home again. Here's hoping a M-F minus holidays job comes around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WAY cute pictures Nat! And WAY cute girl! I want a cute girl to take pictures of... and I wouldn't mind having her NOW except we don't have a bed for her yet! :)

    ReplyDelete