Monday, September 28, 2009

An early start

Photobucket

Have I written about tantrums here before? I have a vague recollection of maybe mentioning it once or twice, but I surely couldn’t have done it justice if I don’t remember.

So. Tantrums.

Is there really any word out there that strikes as much dread in a parent as “tantrum”? I’m thinking not. And OH. MY. WORD. have we been initiated into the world of tantrums.

Before I say anything else, let me just say once again how much I love and adore that daughter of mine. She’s darling, hilarious, smart, and can be sooo incredibly, heartwarmingly sweet. But she’s got one other character trait.

She’s dramatic.

My mom claims she gets it from me. She may or may not have a point. Because when I was little, I may or may not have thrown myself to the ground in a most melodramatic manner and I may or may not have wailed, “It’s no use!” over and over (Cinderella, in case you’re not up-to-par on Disney). So... maybe it’s genetic. It’s possible.

History of dramatic flair or not, it doesn’t make it any less mortifying for me. For example, yesterday I took Sadie with me to visit a new sister in Relief Society. I was so relieved when we walked in because it turned out this cute sister has a 2-year old boy. My worries about Sadie whining over being bored melted away. Yes! Then it came time for us to leave. And Sadie had found one of the little boy’s bouncy balls and had it clutched possessively in her little hand (see where this is going??). I used every persuasive tactic stored in the recesses of my brain to try to get her to give up the ball. Wasn’t happening. So finally, I calmly pried the ball out of her hand. You should have seen the meltdown that ensued. You would have thought I just whacked her on the top of the head with said ball. Meanwhile, the girl we were visiting, her little boy, her tiny baby, and the other sister who accompanied me on the visit were all staring at my screaming, writhing, kicking, daughter in horror. (Remember how she’s also really, really loud?)

The worst part is that the above scenario is frighteningly common at our house lately. Kevin and I have discussed and decided we’ve entered the oh-so-dreaded Terrible Twos... four months early. There’s no other explanation. Sadie is perfectly average in every other area of her life, but she just had to pick this one to be “ahead of the game” and “advanced” and “an early developer.”

Or maybe the label “Terrible Twos” is one of those things experts really don’t know what they’re talking about. Like “morning” sickness (which everyone knows rarely happens just in the morning). So... my kid isn’t the only one who acts like this ten times a day at the age of 20 months.

Right?

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Natalie! I really do understand your new found adventure with Sadie. Halie had her moments...but Jacen is well a boy and so much louder then Halie ever has been. So yes...I hear you on that part...and also Jacen is only barely 19 months...and he so has the fit thing down. Just decided how to discipline it...and stick to it. We have found that it is usually for attention or lack of understanding. But both my kids know that we don't have to hear it so when we are at home if they won't keep it under 30 seconds they have to go upstairs until they calm down. I'm amazed that this really works...but it has to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to read that someone else has been completely mortified by their toddler recently. I hate that look that other people give you like "You seriously can't control your child who has only been on this earth less than 18 months!?" Nope, I can't. So I'll just sit and be embarrassed. I never know whether I should try to reason or just let it run its course. So frustrating. I can deal with it at home, but it's when we're out that I'm at a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh believe me, they hit those terrible 2's before they're 2. Let's just call them the terrible toddlers instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Ky is already starting and he isn't quite 18 months yet. Ahh, the joys of motherhood!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nat...or should I say Sadie?! You're giving me a lot to look forward to! :D I would give you advise but I don't have much yet! I did learn while I was teaching in the 3 year old lab on campus that if you try to explain to them the "why" of it a lot of the time it makes sense to them and they willingly give it up ("it" meaning the bouncy ball :)). ie. "This is "little boy's" bouncy ball and he'll be sad if we take it." Also, if you give her a 5 minute warning BEFORE you have to take it away. ie "you can play with the ball for a few more minutes and then we have to leave and you have to give "little boy" his ball back". A lot of the time they just weren't ready to give it away but they would be in a few minutes... make sense? Like I said, those are things that would work (most of the time :)) with 3 year olds... but every kid is different and Sadie isn't 3 so you can put them in your bag of tricks or toss them out the window! :D Good luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way...my niece is only a few weeks younger than Sadie and she is the same way. And, to top if off she has a black look that could kill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I just had to tell you that I was showing Emerson pictures of Sadie and he saw the one of her puckering up to give kisses and he totally blew her a kiss! Tell me that's not love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man I laughed while reading this. I would love for our girls to be friends, but they might cause too much drama. I'm right with you though! ;)

    ReplyDelete