These past few weeks have been crazy. The only way to adequately describe them is a rollercoaster – of hope and then uncertainty and then reassurance that everything will work out and then fear that it won’t. But I think it’s safe to say we’ve successfully navigated through a big crossroads in our short little married life, and we feel pretty good about how we’ve come out on the other side.
Here’s the story. It’s kind of confusing, so I’ll try my best to keep it simple.
It all started about 3 weeks ago with the notice that we needed to move out of our apartment. I mentioned this earlier, so I won’t go into it again other than to say we were seriously panicked. And then, literally days later, Kevin got called back for a second interview for a human resources job in Clearfield. We were excited and hardly dared hope that an offer might come of it and it could be an answer to our looming homeless situation in a month.
Well, an offer did come of it, but it wasn’t exactly what we had hoped. The salary they were offering him was low. Really low. As in, we literally wouldn’t be able to live on it – even if we were living as frugal as is humanly possible – without one of us finding a second job (which presented all kinds of challenges in a new town with which neither of us was at all familiar, plus the issue of a new baby coming and having to pay for a babysitter for two kids). There were also a few other smaller details about the job that we just weren’t 100% comfortable with.
At almost the same time the job offer came from the Clearfield job, Kevin suddenly got pulled aside at his current job and was told that there might be a good possibility for a major advancement there. It looked like a good opportunity for a lot of reasons. The only problem was that they weren’t planning on starting the interviews for it until after our deadline to tell the Clearfield job yes or no.
This is where the leap of faith comes in.
After lots (and lots and lots) of praying and late-night discussions and number crunching and examining every possible solution, we felt compelled to turn down the Clearfield job and hope and pray like our life depended on it that something would come of the promotion at Kevin’s current job.
I have just one word for those few days between turning down the one offer and hoping for the second one. Terrifying.
I mean, logically, we’re a little crazy. We haven’t had a single lead on a job in 4 months. And now Kevin gets a perfectly viable HR job offer, and we say no? So he can maybe get a promotion?
Crazy, I’m telling ya. But guess what? Obvious fact: Heavenly Father actually does know the whole picture (wow! amazing!). And when Kevin and I both got the feeling that things would work out if we turned down the Clearfield job, it wasn’t for nothing.
Kevin found out yesterday that he got the promotion. He officially has a job. A good job. A long-term job.
And here’s why we’re happy about it:
No more night shifts. Ever!
Kevin works with really cool people and gets to manage.
We get to stay in Cache Valley for a long time. We love our Cache Valley.
Along with that, I get to keep my OB-GYN doctor here. Sounds silly, but I have the best doctor ever. Love him (in a thanks-for-delivering-my-baby kind of way...)
We still have to move, of course, but we’re literally moving a block away. (Yes, we’re now one of those slightly odd people who do that.) There are a lot of reasons for this – mostly so we can save to buy a house in a year - but the best is that we get to stay in our ward for a while longer.
The pay is good.
So good, in fact, that I DON’T HAVE TO WORK ANYMORE! That’s right; it’s officially stay-at-home mommyness for me starting next week. I can’t even begin to tell you how excited I am!
All I can say, is it’s amazing what a little faith and a whole lot of trust can do.
Sadie in her Easter dress. Has nothing to do with the post. But still cute!
Yay!! Congrats Kevin!!!! And you too for getting to be a SAHM Nat! Sounds like things worked out for the best all around. :)
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Ahhh relief, right?
ReplyDeleteAny ideas for baby girl's name?
my relief comment sounded more like bathroom talk...ha...
ReplyDeleteYAY! I'm happy for you guys! It still stinks that you have to move, but I'm glad Kevin got promoted and glad you're staying in the ward! When you guys actually move, we'll be there to help. We (well Josh) can help load boxes and take trips to the new place and I can do a little dance to entertain Sadie. :) Really though, I'm excited for you guys and am willing to help!
ReplyDeleteWe've already said it....but I'll say it again in writing this time - Congratulations!! We're so happy for you guys and excited to see what the future brings! Love ya,
ReplyDeleteHooray! Totally jealous you get to stay in Logan-but definitely excited for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so happy for you guys! I couldn't picture you moving away from Cache Valley anyway...it's just where you guys belong! :) Congrats on the big promotion--hooray for no more night shifts! And hooray for staying-at-home-mommyness! (Although I did think you guys were amazing with the two of you working and taking care of Sadie.) And I have officially used my allotment of exclamation points for my entire life. But seriously, I'M SO GLAD IT ALL WORKED OUT!
ReplyDeleteCongrats. Sometimes those leaps of faith are the hardest, but oh so worth it!!
ReplyDeleteNat,I am so glad that it all worked out. Now you sit back and relax while you wait for your new little one. Congrats!!!
ReplyDeleteCongrats guys! That is such great news! Good luck with the new job Kevin and have fun staying at home Natalie (it's the best!)! And the Easter picture of Sadie is SO cute :)
ReplyDeleteWahoo!!!! Though I'm sad you are moving down the street! :)
ReplyDeleteCrazy how it all works out! Keep the lord on your side and all is well! Thanks for the story! Tell Kevin Congrats, you two really deserve it!!
ReplyDeleteI am so excited for you and your cute family. That is awesome!
ReplyDeleteYAY YAY YAY YAY YAY!!!!! I am soooooooooooooooooooooo happy for you guys!!!! Congrats Kev and congrats Nat!!! I am anxiously awaiting the day that we are in your shoes-Tim has a job and I get to be home with my Kate! I'm so glad you get to stay in Logan, too! (I hope we are in your shoes on that one, too! :)) Taking that leap of faith is hard but always worth it in the end! (don't you wish we could remember that the next time we have to jump?:))
ReplyDeleteps. that picture of Sadie is adorable!
That was a very neat and inspiring story! Way to have faith!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, Congrats!! I'm so excited for you guys!!
ReplyDeleteOh, yay, and congrats!! I'm glad that you'll still be in the ward. Where are you moving to?
ReplyDeleteI'm glad Kevin got the job, and that you'll be able to stay at home, now. It's awesome! Leaps of faith are SO hard, but worth it.
Congrats again!
Oh, and let us know when you're moving - we'd be happy to help.
I am so so happy for you. that is great that Kevin got a job in Logan and that you get to stay home, what a blessing. Things really do work out for the best. you should look into Smithfield in a year when you want to buy a house. we love it here. take care.
ReplyDeleteThat's fantastic! I'm so glad that you get to stay home! I love it when things work out...even if it's a little scary at first!
ReplyDeleteThat is so great. I wsih we were done with nights. Being a SAHM is great you will love it, and now you can come to play group.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! Glad things turned out so well! Excited for you guys! Wow what writing...yeah you made me cry...but that is okay! Keep smiling!
ReplyDeleteNatalie! I just did a thorough catchup on your blog (in order from older-to-newer to not spoil any surprises) and I am soooo happy for you to see things falling into place in life. Isn't it funny how just when you think you're SERIOUSLY at your breaking point, somehow things suddenly work out? I just saw a blog post that said "today's test is tomorrow's testimony" and your series of latest entries totally remind me of that! I'm SO happy, so relieved, and so understand. Not literally in a "we need a job now" kind of way, but in a "what the heck is the future going to bring for us" kind of way (difference being, Smith future = unresolved). This is probably way too much info for a comment, but I just wanted to say congrats, I'm ecstatic, and congrats on having a little lady! We are seriously like a month apart or something. You are TINY!!! You look great, and I'm so happy you'll get to stay home, you're amazing. Sorry to go on forever... miss you!
ReplyDelete