Remember how Sadie had colic? I didn't blog much about it then, but trust you me. She had colic.
It was awful. No. Awful doesn't even begin to describe it. Have you ever held a frantically screaming baby? Yes? Now multiply that by 4-6 hours. Now multiply that by at least four nights a week for four weeks. It was bad. Really bad.
The worst part was that Kevin was working nights at that time. I still have sharply clear memories of packing a screaming Sadie into the car to drive aimlessly around Cache Valley by myself because that was the only thing that would temporarily calm her down. And I especially remember getting so angry at the stupid traffic lights that turned red before I could get through them (couldn't the stupid lights be more sensitive to the fact that my baby is only calm when the car is moving, for crying out loud?)
I don't look back on those nights with fondness, that much is for certain. But the great thing about parenthood is that memories fade. Childbirth becomes a hazy memory, the sleepless nights weren't really that long, and the crying couldn't really have been that nerve-grating. Until you have another kid, and it all comes rushing back. Every time Ellie screams for an hour or more for absolutely no reason, I feel the old feeling of panic setting in. It's like, oh yeah! Now I remember the helpless feeling of having to stare into the face of my screaming baby and not being able to do a thing to make her stop.
But even though this happens way more than I would like, I don't think it's colic this time. The difference? Ellie can be calmed down. Usually by the magic combination of straight-jacket tight swaddling, a little white noise, and lots and lots of bouncing (my back hurts just thinking about it):
One more thing. Why has no one invented a bouncy chair that bounces itself yet? Honestly!
I totally agree with the bouncy chair thing! Z never cried and couldn't be soothed, but my baby sis had colic and I remember all the nights walking the floor, bouncing her up and down in the football hold to try and help my mom out! Ugh! I hope it gets better!
ReplyDeleteGood luck...they now have these awesome swaddle blankets you can get. It has a pouch for their feet and then you velcro them in. Emma loves them and we are still using them...try them out, you will love them. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI totally relate to the colic. Although it sounds like Sadie may have been a bit worse than Sawyer. We used to sit her in her car seat and turn on the dryer and set her on top. Only thing that worked! I'm glad Ellie is better:)
ReplyDeleteI can totally relate. Yesterday was one of those days with Halle! Crying the entire day it seems like! I really wish we lived closer, maybe we could get together and commiserate with eachother ;)
ReplyDeleteI'm with you there on the bouncy chair and the lights.
ReplyDeleteNatalie--keep in mind I'm home all day now and I only live a corner away! If you need a break let us know, I'm sure the girls would love to play and I'll give you a moment to yourself!
ReplyDeleteAh...good luck with the crying. I really think it's a blessing that we don't remember how much labor hurts, how tired we are as parents, how little sleep we get, how frustrating crying can be, and that at least once when they're little we say, "Now why did I think a baby was a good idea?" You'll make it through though. And don't worry about the bouncy chair bouncing itself, your foot will soon have the motion memorized and you'll be doing it without even thinking about it. I'm so sorry I didn't get to come by and see her! The end came so fast for us, suddenly we were gone. Next time we're in Logan I'll have to drop by and see your new house hopefully!
ReplyDeleteHi, I'm new to your blog :) I just wanted to comment and say there is a bouncer that bounces itself and I'm TOTALLY getting it for my next baby! It's the Bright Starts InGenuity Automatic Bouncer!
ReplyDelete