Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Back to the Real World

It's that terrible day that I've been dreading for weeks... the going-back-to-work day. It's my first day back, and I can safely say that I'm hating it. I'll admit it is somewhat nice to be back in the "real world," interacting with people other than Kevin and Sadie. But my heart's not here. It's back in a little apartment on the other side of town with my 6-week old baby. I'm trying so hard not to be envious of all the moms I know that get to stay home with their kids. Kevin and I knew that having a baby while trying to get him through school wouldn't be easy. I knew that I'd have to go back to work. But that doesn't erase the fact that I MISS MY BABY!!

Now that I've vented about my sad day, I guess I better provide an update on the little tyke. Sadie has been SO fun except for one thing... we're pretty sure she has colic. She has her "attacks" a few evenings a week and she can cry anywhere from 3 to 6 hours straight. Kevin and I have tried just about everything in the book to comfort her. I'm getting quite the work out from all the bouncing, rocking, and pacing I do. The other night, we discovered that holding her in the "colic curl" works wonders. It helps that we always get a laugh out of how uncomfortable she looks!




I also finally got a shot of Sadie getting a bath. She is NOT a bath girl (not yet, at least) and she always screams hysterically when we stick her in the water. I'm usually too busy trying to hurry and hold onto a slippery baby to take pictures, but I finally snapped one while Kevin was helping me.

WARNING: Naked baby picture! :)




I hope I'm not sounding like the whole baby experience is all bad. She absolutely has lots of good moments too! My favorite thing is that she's already smiling (and no, it's not just the "passing gas" smiles - it's the real thing)! Those moments when she grins at me make it all worth it. :)

5 comments:

  1. One of our friends gave us this advice for infant baths. Put a warm wet washcloth over the baby while she is in the bath tub. It will help her feel warmer and more snuggled. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a bummer you have to be back at work! It seems so fast, I can't believe she is already six weeks old!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with everything. Colic is the worse. We had Kaleb on so many medicines because he was so fussy with the reflux and colic. It seems bad at the time, but it will go quickly. Keep your head up and invest in earplugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just going to suggest the same advice that Danica did for bathing. We learned that trick in the NICU and Halle has always loved her bath.
    It's fun to see new pictures of Sadie, keep them coming! We can't wait to see her in person! (Well, and you and Kevin too. Welcome to the world of no one caring about you anymore. It's all about the babies!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry she's a crier-but she's awfully cute. Cambrie didn't have colic, but she could still have her moments of crying. For us the only thing that worked was bouncing-but not while standing. We held her in our arms then sat on an exercise ball and bounced up and down all night long. The higher we would go, the better. She could tell as soon as we stood up to bounce. That ball got a lot of use. By the way, we have the same tub, we love it :)

    ReplyDelete