Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One Year

A few afternoons ago, Ellie decided to pitch a fit about taking her afternoon nap. It was a battle of wills as she wailed and sobbed away in her room while I stubbornly let her wail and sob away, hoping she'd just go to sleep. (The nap situation has been a tiny bit of a trial for both of us this last week or two.) Finally, I gave in. I walked in to find her sitting in her crib, face streaked with tears and eyes puffy and red. I, of course, immediately felt like the world's worst mother and decided to sit and rock with her to ease my guilty conscience.

As her damp little head immediately snuggled onto my shoulder and her arms wrapped around my neck, my mind wandered along until I rested on that day exactly one year ago when Ellie Jean entered our world. I first marveled at the contrast between the 7-pound, feather-light bundle they placed in my arms that day and the heavy 23-pounder that lay curled against me at that moment. My memories then slowly traveled over those first few weeks. The sleepless nights, the agony and frustration that was our brief breastfeeding stint, the wailing and subsequent bouncing and pacing (and more bouncing) that was the only way she would calm down in the evenings. And I also remembered the way she'd snuggle into my chest, allowing me to inhale the fresh, intoxicating new-baby scent that clung to her silky black hair.

Such a difference from now. Now her mop of dark, curly hair smells like graham crackers and sunscreen and shampoo. When she's asleep, she sleeps deeply all night with the exhaustion of an on-the-move kid. When she's awake, she grins and babbles, she crawls and climbs and explores. Eating is a breeze and I've long been freed from any kind of frustration or agony.

But one thing hasn't changed: she still loves to curl around me in a heart-melting cuddle. This year has flown by, and I know the years ahead will keep flying by. Therefore, I will cherish those moments and fiercely cling to the last of the babyhood she has left.

So Happy Birthday, my Ellie-Belly!




First in the way of blog celebration is the slideshow. It says it's 13 minutes long when you start it, but it's really only about five. There's no way I'm going back to fix it now! Anyways, I still don't expect everyone to watch it, but the rest of E's cute birthday pics are at the end if you want to skip ahead.




Stats will come later today. This post is already mega-long and rambling!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness - You made me laugh and made me cry and made me fall in love with that sweet little girl all over again! Can't imagine our family without her! Happy Birthday Ellie Jean!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (late :( ) Birthday Ellie! I loved this post (& the one above it:))She is ADORABLE!!! I loved watching her grow up in five minutes! That was so fun! You have taken some AMAZING pictures of that cutie in one year's time! Did you make her birthday outfit? I LOVE it! WAY cutie!!!

    ReplyDelete