Monday, August 15, 2011

The Party

We can't forget the birthday party, now, can we?

Thanks to grandmas and grandpas for making up the guest list. We love you!

First, here's the girls and me. We all have gems on our foreheads thanks to Sadie's decorating abilities. :)

Side note, did you notice I chopped my hair off? I pretty much love it. The long hair was driving me crazy.


Ellie got her first taste of corn-on-the-cob for dinner, but she was determined to only gnaw on the very end the whole time.

We opened some fun presents (Grandpa Stan was nice enough to play the photographer here):





And then it was on to cake!

The cake is usually my favorite part, but Ellie didn't get anything fancy this time around. Sorry, El. :) I decided last minute to use Our Best Bites' new swirled frosting tutorial on the cupcakes and it took longer than I was expecting. Instead of a cute "1" on her cake like I planned, all she got was a big swirl. I'm pretty sure she didn't care, though.


The cupcakes

E's "smash cake"

She LOVED it when everybody sang Happy Birthday to her.

And did she smash that smash cake, you may ask? No. She didn't. My sweets-loving girl only picked delicately at the frosting. Don't ask me - I was convinced that she'd dig into it. Oh, well. :)
___________________________________________________

Also - one last thing. We went to the doctor's on Friday and got Ellie's official stats:

Weight: 22 lbs. 13 oz. (80%)
Height: 31 in. (90%)
Head: 17 3/4 in. (55%)

In other words, she's a big kid. No surprise there. :) Our doctor also discussed the car seat issue with us, and I think after hearing his opinions on the whole deal, we might be switching her to front-facing soon. It's partly for our own relief since I'm tired of having a screaming kid in the backseat wherever I go.

6 comments:

  1. I was thinking of you guys all day, wishing I was there! I Love her one year pictures and love that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Ellie!! What a cutie. And I love the cupcakes...the two-colored swirls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cupcakes! I thought I recognized that technique...Happy birthday to Ellie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, your hair is super cute. I like it.

    The cupcakes are awesome - I wanna learn how to do that.

    And, your girls - adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your short hair! If mine was that thick I'd probably do it too. Ellie's b-day looks like it was great fun! I can't believe it's been a year. Glad someonelse has a chunky monkey too! We found out Charli was 23 lbs on that trip! They'd be so cute together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When are we going to see you guys again!? Ellie and Sadie are growing up so fast! You are such a good mom, Natalie! Those cupcakes look so cute- I'm impressed!! Also I really like your hair!! Such a cute family!

    ReplyDelete