Sunday, December 15, 2013

Thirty

I don't usually blog about Kevin's or my own birthday. We're adults. Our birthdays are usually filled with all kinds of boring stuff like work and laundry. But Kevin hit the big 3-0 in November, and THAT is a big deal. At least, I was determined to make it a big(ish) deal, even though he insisted that turning 30 is something best left un-celebrated.

Whatever, Kevin. Nice try.

How to make it a bigger deal had me pretty stumped there for awhile, though. A party wasn't really an option since our family is small and pretty scattered. And I had a one-month old. I didn't have it in me to do something really big and crazy. So I did some searches on Pinterest one day and stumbled on this idea involving 30 balloons and 30 presents. Aha! I thought. I can do balloons. Balloons are fun and easy - right?

Well, a dozen balloons are fun and easy. 30 balloons? That's a lot! Add to that the complicating factor that he happens to work at the best place to buy balloons close to our house, and...yeah.

Long story short, I had to do a lot of sneaking around and conspiring with his co-workers. And if you had seen me trying to wrestle those balloons into our Outlook while two of my kids screamed in delight and excitement, and one of them screamed...well, I'm not sure why...and I came this close to screaming in frustration because those balloons WOULD NOT stay in that car? You probably would have laughed. It was quite the sight.

Anyways, we got them home. And we had 30 small presents (about 10 of them were things we all love about Kevin) attached to the balloons when he walked in the door. I think he thought it was pretty fun.


 photo IMG_1221_edit_zpsceee66b3.jpg

It doesn't look like a lot of balloons in this picture, but IT WAS. Trust me. The kids kept saying that they felt like the balloons were going to pull them into the sky.

 photo IMG_1231_edit_zpsdda66982.jpg

Kevin and his girls (two of them, anyways). You can see some of the attached presents in this one.


 photo IMG_1242_edit_zpsbac44af0.jpg
And this is just one of him laughing at one of the kids' antics. It's a good picture. And I really like him. :)

1 comment: