Seeing as a second little human being will be making his/her presence known in our little household in the near future, we figured we better work on some of some major "life changes" for Sadie before the shock of a new sibling comes along.
Event #1: Binkie detoxification.
Status? Check! (We've so got that one down.)
Event #2: Sleeping in a big-girl bed.
Status? Check!
Event #3: Potty training.
Status? No, no - not going there yet. It's tentatively on the list (I would really like to not have to worry about two sets of diapers in our budget, thankyouverymuch), but not for a few more months at least.
So. Big-girl bed. Cross that one off the list! We were having the big debate between toddler bed and twin bed when I happened to jump on KSL Classifieds one day and saw this headboard/footboard + bedframe for an awesome deal. The clincher? It's the exact same style as the daybed I had growing up. (Yes, a daybed - I was so a child of the 90s.) Feeling a bit nostalgic definitely contributed to our snap decision, but it was worth it. Twin bed it is! It's quite a bit taller than I thought it would be, which looks kind of weird with her single mattress. And right now, she just has sheets and an assortment of random blankets until I can decide how to decorate. But we'll get that all fixed someday.
And, wow. Sadie loves it. So much that Kevin's first attempt at getting her to sleep for naptime completely backfired because she was so excited.
Turns out, big twin beds have serious advantages. For example?
They're lots of fun to climb in and pretend-sleep...
They're great to stretch out on - look at all that space!
They make a great space for playing with daddy (or watching him pretend to sleep, in this case).
And, best of all, big beds are lots of fun to take real naps in after church. Daddy thinks so too. Such a Kodak moment, this one. :)
So far, we haven't had any trouble with her getting out of bed when she's supposed to be sleeping. Yet. I'm sure it's coming. I wish I could say naptime and bedtime have been smooth rides, but we've had a few hiccups. All in the name of progress, right?
Awesome. I LOVE the picture where she's pretending to sleep. I laughed out loud. Oh, and as long as you don't say anything about me setting that car on fire, I might go do it today. Ha ha! :)
ReplyDeleteI totally didn't know you were pregnant! Congratulations! I can't wait to find out if Sadie has a little brother or little sister.
ReplyDeleteHoly cow! BIG GIRL BED!? She must be...well I KNOW she is...a much more obedient child who knows her limits better than Emerson. I'm afraid we're going to have a crib-dweller for awhile with new baby in the pack 'n' play. And as for potty training, there's no way we're going to be able to tackle that beast until after baby is born. (On a serious note though, I've had quite a few people in my ward try to potty train their 2 year olds before the new baby and they've all regressed and had lots of accidents and eventually gone back to diapers until a few months after the new baby. Just something to think about, but maybe Sadie will just be a total champ about it.)
ReplyDeleteOkay, so for the potty training - try "Toilet Training in less than a Day" by Nathan H. Azrin and Richard Foxx. It works - totally. Done it with my kids, my sis. has done it with her kids - it works. And, I hear that girls are ready to learn earlier than boys are.
ReplyDeleteAnd, I called you the other day asking about the "Purse-onality" Enrichment you did. My sister would like to do it in their ward, and asked if I would get some stuff from you. What things did you do, what things did you think about doing and discard? Just pass along everything to me. rjgshaffer@hotmail.com.
And, they're doing their birthday dinner in early March, so the sooner you can email this to me, the better. Thanks so much.
Oh, and I didn't call back because I have strep throat and it hurts to talk. Thanks for helping me out!