Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Where are you, Christmas?


Sadie poking at our lone Christmas decoration while the storm rages outside.

My most favorite part of Christmas next to the music is decorating my home. And guess what I don't get to do this year? You guessed it: decorate.

Okay, okay. I guess I shouldn't be so upset about it. After all, I am getting a brand-new house out of the deal. But every time I pass a window with a shining, sparkling Christmas tree already in the window, I feel a crushing sense of disappointment. No Christmas tree? That's just... depressing.

Our house is literally going to be our Christmas present this year. As long as the builders' schedule holds up (as it has perfectly thus far), we'll be moving in literally just days before Christmas. I'm so, so excited for the house. But I'm not excited for our apartment to be adorned with packed boxes instead of lights and stockings and trees up until that day.

To make up for it, I've fallen back on my first Christmas love. We broke out the Christmas music a few days ago, and I was reminded again just how much I love me some Christmas music. Love it. Our ward choir has been singing Christmas music since September and I’ve been feeling just a teeny bit sheepish about humming all those Christmas songs when it was still 70 degrees outside. But the storm that's roaring around our apartment right now most definitely justifies breaking out the "Jingle Bells" and the "Joy to the Worlds."

And I know I said it last year, but I’m going to say it again. Josh Groban’s arrangement of “It Came Upon a Midnight Clear” is still, in my opinion, the best Christmas arrangement ever made. It never ceases to give me chills. (There's not a single good recorded version of this on the internet, so I put it in a playlist over there on the sidebar. I can't get it to fit, though - any suggestions?)

However, I’m thinking that his “Little Drummer Boy” comes in a close second. Both are incredible.

So... while I'm living in a decoration-less house, I may have to pop into everyone else's homes to get my fill of red and green. Don't be surprised if I show up on your doorstep! :)

5 comments:

  1. I have a lot of things to say...

    1. LOVE the new look of your blog.
    2. LOVE LOVE that picture.
    3. I'm sorry you can't decorate. :( I say, once you move in you should be able to decorate and leave your Christmas stuff up for the entire month of January.
    4. I loved opening your blog and hearing Christmas music.
    5. I'm so sad that I can't sing in the ward choir. I still have the version of While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks By Night stuck in my head all the time. Honestly, that was in the top 5 reasons I didn't want to move. That part made me terribly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love it if you showed up on my doorstep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. josh groban's It Came Upon A Midnight Clear - LOVE.IT.

    Maybe you should decorate my house for Christmas while you're here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stinks that you can't decorate...but super exciting to get a new house!! YAY! We were so excited to be in our own place this year that we put up our Christmas decorations a week ago... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still can't believe your house is going up so fast! I hope you can move in for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete