| Because every post about Sadie needs a cute picture of said little girl. :) |
Are you ready for this?
I’m not completely sure I am. But, crazy as it sounds, I feel almost dishonest not writing about something so pivotal in my little world. I write about everything else. And I do have a strict “keep it real” policy. :) I just have one request. I’m super sensitive about this and pretty much feel like a failure of a parent, so judge me kindly. I know it was super easy for your kid. Not so much with mine.
Here we go… our not-so-good potty training experience so far.
I’m just going to start by saying that when we started out almost 6 months ago, Sadie was ready. Or she was showing all the signs of being ready, anyways, and she was extremely excited. So any argument based on me starting her when she wasn’t ready doesn’t really hold.
And I had a plan. Let me tell you, I had a plan. I did lots of research and settled on a fun routine that would work best for us. We made it a party. We had little prizes and treats and lots of juice. She got to watch movies and I got her this awesome little potty watch that sings every 30 minutes to remind her to run to the potty (which I still love and fully intend on using in the future). It started out okay. We had the usual couple of accidents. The details are a little foggy now, but I know she had some success as well. She seemed excited about it and I tried really hard to make it fun for her.
BUT somewhere along the way (and I still to this day am not sure exactly how, when, or why), Sadie developed a terrifying fear of actually going potty. I’m going to leave the details out because I know she’ll probably read this someday and be appalled enough that I’m writing about it on the internet. But basically, she's totally okay until it comes right down to actually going. The other night, I sat next to her for almost an hour as she screamed and cried because she was scared to go.
And here’s where it gets sticky. I know from an outside perspective, the logical solution would be to just drop it and let her get over her fear. But we tried that. After that first attempt almost 6 months ago, I was done for awhile. I was 7 months pregnant and wasn’t up for the emotional toll it was taking on me. So we took a 3-month break. But the problem is (and here’s the clincher), she really, really wants to be able to do this. She asks me about it all the time. How can I say no?
I just don’t think time is going to solve this one. My mom and Kevin both have been suggesting that I just need to get her through the whole process a few times so she can see it’s not that bad. But when I have to sit there and watch her scream and cry, I can’t help but wonder if I’m seriously scarring her. I’m probably dooming her to being an emotional, psychotic wreck because I’m “making” her go potty. Plus, the kid has crazy good bladder control (she held it for almost 10 hours straight… what kind of a 2-year old can do that, seriously?!) which means it takes all day to get her to go once and get through the process. And by then, both she and I are at the end of our ropes.
On the other hand, the girl is just really emotional – about everything. Maybe I’m over-thinking it. Maybe I should just smile and sing and clap through her emotional breakdowns and she’ll eventually see that it’s not something to be scared about.
I do know one thing for sure. This is, by far, the most difficult thing I’ve had to do as a parent in my tiny little window of experience. I think it even beats the awful experience that was breastfeeding. And the worst part is I have no clue where to go from here. I wish I could go back. Start over from scratch, you know? Problem is, I don’t know what I’d do different!
Moral of the story? Potty training sucks. Big time.
Maybe there's a good reason that they make Depends. Ok, sorry not trying to mock you. :) I have no idea what I would do. Sometimes when Emerson is scared or refuses to do something I have his Pooh Bear do it and then he's all for it. Maybe she has a doll or something that you could sit on the potty and go? There's that Baby Alive doll that really wets her diaper...so maybe she could sit on the potty instead and you could have Sadie "teach" the baby how to go on the potty and then have Sadie take a turn? It's just an idea, and we haven't tackled potty training yet so I have no wisdom to offer. But I'll check back to read what worked so I will know for when we do finally potty train our twelve-year-old. ;)
ReplyDeleteUgh. All I can say is that I'm so glad I have at LEAST a solid year before we even have to think about that...hopefully longer because I've heard boys aren't 'ready' as early as girls. Sorry! I hope that you get it figured out pronto!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Nat! I have no advice. :( Do you think she's scared of the noise the flush makes and she knows if she goes she will have to hear the flush? just a thought...i stll hate that sound and i'm nearly 26!
ReplyDeleteOh no! I obviously have no advice, but I'm sorry she's having a hard time. However, I am jealous of her bladder control. 10 hours? You should contact the world record people. She might be able to get you guys some award money or something with that.
ReplyDeleteNatalie, I maintain that getting up in the night, breastfeeding (until it works) and pottytraining are the worst things ever. We are in the process with Kyky. It is never easy and I am on #3. It will all come in time...I am really sorry. Talk to your ped about it! They always have amazing ideas. I have never had a child afraid of it, just one so absolutely stubborn. It wasn't til I bought the toys, waved it around in his face that he finally decided to do it! AHHH, the joys of parenting!
ReplyDeleteOh man...I'm sorry Nat. Cambrie wasn't super easy and I'm still cleaning up a couple of accidents each week. I wish you luck because I'm afraid I have no more advice than what you've given yourself. Just think happy thoughts.
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you! I am not excited for that day. I couldn't even do the breastfeeding thing (however, the hospital kinda screwed me with bottle feeding her after only 2 days). The doll thing sounds like a good idea though...
ReplyDeleteI think that potty training is every parent's worst nightmare. I know it is for me. We started with Belle a LONG time ago. She finally got it and started going very consistently last Christmas. This spring and summer I considered her COMPLETELY potty trained until... NOVEMBER! She had so many accidents and now can't even hold it though the night anymore. I had to buy pull ups for the first time in months. We figured that she learned to hold it so well that she wore out her bladder and now has NO bladder control. Basically, it is back to step one for us. We have to potty train her for the second time for #1. Luckily she still goes #2 in the potty. Don't give up. It is a constant struggle. I heard somewhere that kids don't have to be completely potty trained until they are 8. That sounds crazy to me to. I just wish my little potty trained girl would come back.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear the you feel like a failure with this. I am sure most of us feel that way with potty training at one point or another. Just remember to look at the other things you succed in and know that this to shall pass.
ReplyDeleteWe are currently trying to train Jacen for the 3rd time. The first time we were moving and he just didn't care to try and after 3 weeks of stress I said fine we will wait. This summer we tried for the 2nd time. He did pretty good for almost a week and then he became scared of the toilet, or the process I'm still not sure. I decided he needed a break. I asked my dad to stop talking about swirlys and just decided to wait awhile. Well it has now been about 4 months since the summer trial. We talked about the potty and why he was scared of it. Read tons of books on the process and how it happens. You know kid type books from the library. Still he seemed not sure. Well something clicked this week and he isn't scared and is loving it. Sigh I may have done something I really might regret, but I told him all mom wanted for Christmas was for him to be a big boy and practice the potty more. I also asked him what he wanted when he was full done practicing and had it down...and he said a train which is what he also wanted for Christma. At this point I hope we stay going in the right direction and he really gets there soon. I wish I had a quick fix and had all the physcological reasons for Jacen being over it for you. Good luck! Call me if you think any other info might help, or just to talk to or cry to. You are an awesome mom Nat and I know things will get better for you! Smiles!
(ps...if you don't have my number it is 435-757-6687)