Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Little Nurturer

*I have a few posts solely about Sadie sitting in my draft pile right now and since this is her birthday week (yay!), I figure it's a good time to finally get around to posting them. Expect a lot of Sadie in the next few days!*

If you've ever watched Sadie play for any length of time, you've probably noticed one obvious thing: she is one of the most nurturing kids you've ever met. I’ve never seen anything like her. She plays with all of her various toys, yes. But her imaginative play almost always centers around taking care of something. And I mean anything. The baby dolls are still a favorite. But if they’re not handy, she will pick up any random object, wrap it in a “blanket” (which can be anything from a Kleenex to a washcloth to a shirt of Ellie’s), and the girl instantly transforms into this incredible, protective, nurturing little human being.


Just in case you don’t believe me, I present to you:

The Marshmallow Ghost Baby

(I bought a bag of these and instead of eating the first one I handed her, she took it to her toy box, found this little sleeping bag, and made sure the ghost was “nice and cozy.” She carried it around like that for hours.)



The Twinkle Twinkle Little Star Baby

(I was cleaning out my craft drawers when she discovered a little star cut-out and a scrap piece of fabric that had a star partially sewn onto it. She proceeded to name it “twinkle twinkle little star,” wrap it up, and rock it to sleep. It also had to eat lunch with her and go with us to visit daddy at work.)




The “Toothpaste” Baby

(Self-explanatory. It’s toothpaste, for crying out loud!)



And last but not least… she lives for the moments when she gets to take care of her little sister. She helps hold her bottle, fetches new diapers, plays patti-cake with her, tries to comfort her when she cries, and even shares her toys with Ellie to try to make tummy time a little less miserable.

(Taken a couple of months ago, but you get the idea.)

I’m pretty convinced she’s going to be one heck of a mother someday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that is so sweet! She is a sweetie pooh! And man, what an imagination! toothpaste?! Wow! What did we ever do without our girls? They bring so much joy, don't they?

    ReplyDelete