Sunday, July 1, 2012

Green.


I tried to hold off on another yard post. I really did. But my excitement can’t be contained. However, I realize that yard posts are booooring, so I’ll try to keep it short.

But seriously…LOOK!


Where once there was only a large wasteland of dirt, there now is GRASS. Isn’t it beautiful? I kind of think so. Sure, it’s patchy and sprouting weeds like you wouldn’t believe. It’s green and growing and we’re just a little bit infatuated with it. In fact, Kevin and I took off our shoes and walked around barefoot in it last night for the first time. You know that scene in Tangled when Rapunzel feels the grass on her feet after coming down from her tower? It was kind of like that. We were giddy little kids.

For the record, we did hydroseed as opposed to sod. Sodding would have been much, much faster. Heck, we would have been pulling out the slip-n-slide by now if we had done sod! But with a 1/3-acre lot and a not-so-huge house on that lot? Yeah. That’s a lot of land to cover. Sod would have been pricey. So we’re counting this as a lesson in patience. We’ve been in this house for a year and a half without a yard. What’s an extra 4 or 5 weeks?

Anyways, moving on. Another shot of some grass and, wait…what’s that peeking out in corner of our yard?!



Why, it’s our very first garden!

And, just like the yard, it’s…sorta enormous. Blame Kevin. He grew up working on a farm and apparently his nostalgic self feels like he needs to have a mini farm right here in our yard. Add a few sheep and maybe a pig or two and we’d almost be there!

We’re growing (from left to right) potatoes, corn, beans, peas, pumpkins, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, and red peppers.

See? Here’s the corn. I’m excited about that part.




And here’s a beautiful shot of…the weeds. Ugh! Aren’t they terrible? It’s impossible to keep up with them (trust me, we’ve been trying). But try to see through the weeds and you can see the squash-y plants and the tomatoes over there.



Okay. That’s probably enough if I’m going to keep this short(ish).

I can’t promise I won’t post green stuff again, though. This is the highlight of our summer – we can’t help it!

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Green!!! It will be gorgeous before you know it. :) And loving the garden too. I hated weeding as a kid, but maybe, just maybe, a garden will be in our future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo jealous!! We are planning on doing hydro seed as well... but probably not until spring.... YAY for grass!!! (And a garden) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's BEAUTIFUL and GREEN - Yay! Your hard work is paying off!

    ReplyDelete