Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy, Happy Birthday!


Guess who’s one today? Sadie Shay!

Let me just give you a summary of what I’m feeling right now... AAHHHHHHH!!!!

I cannot believe my baby is a year old. I’m a little emotional today, to say the least. I keep looking at the clock and getting lost in little flashbacks of what I was doing exactly one year ago. For example, as I'm writing this it's 8:30 a.m. At that time, I had just received The Miracle Drug after five hours of suffering through horrendously painful contractions at the hospital. The anesthesiologist took his sweet time getting to me even though I had emphatically told the nurses many times... “I’m at an 8. Maybe 9. I. WANT. DRUGS.” What can I say? I'm a (proud) wimp. :)

Four hours later, my beautiful Sadie Shay was born. And let me tell ya... that girl knows how to make an entrance! My family who was waiting on the other side of the maternity wing heard her screams. Mellow baby she was not. And still isn’t. But boy, am I glad. No one can make me laugh like this girl does. She's spunky, silly, and more than a little energetic. And she's just good. Sure, we've had our ups and downs. But the sleeping through the night at two months, zero stranger anxiety, and a hearty appetite has made up for those downs. She has literally been a happy ray of sunshine in our lives for the past year.

And now, enough of my sappy reminiscing. On to the fun stuff!

Some "facts" about Sadie at ONE YEAR:

Her favorite food is bananas. But that’s subjective because she really eats anything we put in front of her. So it may very well be broccoli or spinach ravioli.


You know how I said she doesn't walk? Well, that's not entirely true. She knee-walks. (What? You don't know what this is? See the video. She only does it a little bit, but you'll get the idea.)


Her favorite sign is “More” (As in, give me MORE FOOD NOW)

She's quite the crowd-pleaser. She'll give you kisses, but be prepared to work for it. She's also obsessed with pulling her crazy face. It makes people laugh every time, no contest. This picture is a mild example, but the real deal is much better in person:




She watches Super Why every morning with daddy. She even dances to the theme song at the end. And yes, we're bad parents because we let her watch TV.

Her first word was "da da" quite awhile ago. We're still not sure if she says "ma ma" in the right context. I say yes. :) She also said "na na" (banana) the other day.

She loves books. She can sit for hours and turn the pages back and forth, back and forth. Her favorite is That's Not My Fairy.

She's just started to snuggle. This is big for a girl who's been too hyper to do this before now. The cutest thing is when she gives her stuffed animals "loves."


She loves clothes (what a girl!). When she got new clothes at her party, she held them up with both hands while knee-walking around for everyone to see. She even puts them on her head to "try them on." Cute!




Happy Birthday, Sade! We love you!

Stay tuned for more pictures of the party on Saturday...

8 comments:

  1. Wow does time ever fly! :) She's so cute Nat! Happy Birthday Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow she is adorable. I would feel the same way if I had a kid with the time going way to fast. Happy Birthday Sadie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY SADIE!!! I remember when I got to come to the hospital to see you for the first time. You were SO cute and still are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jace and Sadie seem a lot alike. It just seems like everything you say about Sadie is just like how Jace is/was. He also does the "kneewalk" and it is so funny! She is such a cute little girl. Happy Birthday Sadie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe our little grandbaby is 1!!! We love you Sadie! Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how the time flies. She is a cutie. Happy Birthday Sadie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH she is so cute! I love her little personality. She is just so advanced with her words and tricks and KNEE WALKING (which is so smart because it's more stable than foot walking.) And you're so not a bad parent for letting her watch tv. We let E watch as well. He doesn't dance though. :) I think you're awesome for teaching her signs too. I'm kind of worried that won't work for E because of his lack of waving and clapping, i.e. fine motor skills. :)

    ReplyDelete