Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Party

Sadie's very first birthday party took place on Saturday. Due to the confined and smallish nature of our apartment, only the most immediate family was invited. Looking back, I can't think of a more appropriate way to celebrate than to be surrounded by the people she knows and loves best. We are SO glad you all made the drive to see us (including Kristen, who only had to drive 2 blocks :) )

It was in almost every way your typical first birthday party. We ate lunch, sang Happy Birthday, watched Sadie dig into her first piece of cake, opened presents - all amidst a house full of pink and purple butterflies. Doesn't get much better than that!



Me attempting to decorate my first birthday cake.



Voila! Hey, don't judge. I'm a novice.



What the men did... (would it surprise anyone if I told you they were staring at a b-ball game? They were.)



What the women did...



I'm sure she was wondering, "Why in the world are all these people staring at me and singing while they hold a little light in front of my face?"


The highlight of the day was watching Sadie eat her cake. She started out with dainty fingers...


...and ended up stuffing her entire fist in her mouth as she tried to soak up all that goodness. Child of my own heart, seriously.



She ate almost the entire piece. Go Sadie!


And then Sadie opened more presents! She's been a bit spoiled in the last 30 days, that's for sure.


The best present (in everyone's opinion) was the new car seat. No more scrunched-up frog legs and staring at the back seat. The result? A baby who napped in the car for the first time in months. Yay!

6 comments:

  1. I wish that "those closest to Sadie" included us. Unfortunately, I do feel like we aren't all that close to her, not like I'd like to be. We wish so desperately we had been there. It looks like you had fun and the cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sadie! It looks like a great party and i love the cake. You did great Nat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nat, I am so proud of you! That cake was awesome, good work. It looks like you and sadie had fun. I still can't believe that she is one. And congrats on the new carseat. That is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahem, not EVERYONE Sadie knows and loves was at the party! (Remember her boyfriend, Emerson? And his parents who are your bestest friends in the whole world?) ;) Very impressive cake, Nat. Sadie is such a good baby. I'm impressed with yours and Kev's parenting skillz. No I seriously am. Sadie is cute, smart, and fun. Everything a little girl should be! I'm glad you had a fun party and I wish we could've been there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie your cake is darling! Really the whole party looks like it was perfect! Happy Birthday Sadie (i know I know a few days late) P.s.- Your kitchen drapes are so cute! Red looks great in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't judge your cake?? I'm judging, and you did a good job!

    ReplyDelete