I have something to confess. And who knows? Maybe some of you out there can relate.
Since becoming a mother, I’ve become more aware of this little monster inside me. It likes to take note of other babies I see, whether it be in the store, at church, or even just on someone else’s blog. And instead of just impartially observing those cute babies, it likes to start whispering little thoughts in my head, such as “That baby had beautiful long hair when they were just 6 months old,” or “That baby already said his/her first word,” or “That baby learned how to sit up at 4 months old.” I like to call this little monster....
Competimommy. (Insert scary music here.)
Usually this not-so-cute little monster is pretty easy to tame. I push its sly little thoughts away with the usual stand-by, “Every baby is unique,” and that’s that. It doesn't do any good to compare. But the past few weeks have been a little more difficult. It seems like every baby we meet lately who’s around Sadie’s age (younger, actually) is walking.
And Sadie? Not so much. In fact, she’s not even remotely close.
I know some of these aforementioned people are probably going to read this blog. I just want to say to you, I love you. I love your babies. I think it’s awesome and so cute that they’re walking at 8, 9, 10 months of age. Really, I do. I just can’t speak for that little monster in my head. And then, to make matters worse, I find myself (ahem, I mean the competimommy) trying to compensate by listing all the things Sadie does do really well. Grrr. It’s awful, isn’t it?
So... one of my New Year’s resolutions is to show that competimommy monster who’s boss. I’m determined to “find joy in the journey” and not worry about those little milestone finish lines Sadie “should” be crossing. I’m going to ignore all those well-meaning people who predict that she'll be a “late walker” like it’s a life sentence. And I’m going to remember that Sadie doesn’t read infant development books; she has a mind of her own and she’ll do things when she decides it’s time. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy the cuteness of crawling.
So there you have it. Natalie may or may not be slightly insane and is haunted by a "monster" who whispers competitive thoughts in her head. If you give me strange looks next time I see you, I’ll totally understand. :)

Look how big she's getting! She looks so TALL in this picture.
Nat you are so cute and I love you! I think that's a normal mom thing...actually a normal woman thing. I compare MYSELF to other people all the time...don't worry! P.S. You should probably be glad she isn't walking yet, kids can get away a lot quicker when they're walking..plus cause a lot more trouble ;) Also, walking or not, Sadie is ADORABLE!!
ReplyDeleteSadie DOES look so tall in that picture. And I TOTALLY know what you mean by the whole competitive thing. As hard as you try not to, it just happens. If it makes you feel any better, Halle had just barely learned to crawl when she was Sadie's age and it hasn't done her any harm. Now the girl runs or hops everywhere she goes. We can't wait to see you all again, sane or insane.
ReplyDeleteNatalie! I do the same thing (competitive thing). I'm sorry that Emerson is a little beast and insists on doing things. :) He just has to take the lead to compensate for the 2 1/2 month age difference. Sadie likes an assertive man, right? Oh, and I do have more pictures to send to you of those cute little lovebirds. Sadie is a stinkin' cute little girl, and late walker or not, she's adorable, and you can tell she's a very smart girl. We're so glad we got to see you over Christmas! We love you!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry. I remember feeling that way about Jace. He was 14 months before he took his first steps at all. Then, I realized that it was a blessing in disguise since I broke my foot and was still recovering from that. He's walking now, but still not even that well. Crawling just seems way too easy for him, so that's his preferred method of movement. I still do that all the time...compare him to other babies.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry Natalie... she will do it. Ky still isn't crawling and he is almost nine months. It will happen when she is ready.
ReplyDeleteI too am competitive and I found myself going the other way. Ky is cuter than that baby or Ky has more teeth than him. I don't know which is worse!! Probably mine as I shouldn't be thinking those thoughts in the first place :)
Ha! I have news for you...it never goes away! At least not yet. I find myself comparing Cambrie to other babies ALL THE TIME. "Why can't my baby identify the letter A?" "Why doesn't my baby sit still to watch Sesame Street while I brush my teeth?" My competimommy compensates by saying, "Well, at least my baby can talk." Isn't that horrible? I should probably have the same resolution :)
ReplyDeleteNatalie, You are normal, and I agree that it never stops however I do have to say, I remember when i wanted Kassie to grow up and now i DON'T so let Sadie not walk a little longer...let it last :)
ReplyDeleteI love it Nat!! I already have those thoughts about my nieces and nephews...I'm sure they will be a hundred times worse with my own kids. Sadie is such a cutie!! I can't believe that it's already been a year! You are such a cute Mommy! I hope I can be that cute. :) Love ya!!
ReplyDelete