None, in my opinion.
First, the birthday-day. Party participants: me, Kevin, Sadie.
I wanted this day to be a special “little” family day. I wanted her to get to do things we don’t normally do and (yes) be just a little bit spoiled. Of course, choices are seriously limited during a Cache Valley winter, so we made do with what was available (and within our budget).
Birthday-day activities:
- Bowling (a surprisingly entertaining activity for a 2-year old – she was fascinated by the heavy balls in all different colors and ran around like a crazy person)

- Arcade games in the Fun Park outside the bowling alley (complete with slinky prize and 3, yes 3, Tootsie Rolls (don’t be jealous)).
- McDonalds (A slightly disappointing experience in which they did not provide us with our long-awaited Alvin and the Chipmunks toy. Sold out? How dare you be sold out?!)
- A big chocolate store-bought cupcake – kindly shared with mommy and daddy.
- Presents. Of course.

And then, the 3-days-after birthday celebration. Party participants: All the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins we could squash into our apartment (not many).
First, I reveal to you my masterpiece birthday cake: (drumroll please....)
Can you tell what it is? (This is where you're expected to lie and say you totally got it at first glance.)
It’s the Very Hungry Caterpillar! This is Sadie’s current favorite book and after finding this oh-so-cute and slightly intimidating cake on the internet, I decided to go for it. I worried about it for days, but in the end was relieved that it turned out fairly decent (again, I’m expecting lies here and exclamations of my genius ;) ). It helped that when Sadie saw the finished product for the first time she said “bug cake!” (she calls it her “bug” book, so that was fairly accurate).
The rest of the party was pretty typical: pizza for lunch, presents to open, and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday” in which Sadie clapped and grinned and thoroughly enjoyed the spotlight. Not to mention the bliss of digging into her bright red slice of cake, which she had been asking for for days.
And now decorations are cleaned up, leftover cake is stored away, and I have to come to terms with the fact that I’m officially the mother of a two-year old.
Weird.



That cake is awesome! I could tell what it was right away (and I'm not just saying that either!) I can't believe Sadie is two...we're getting old! :)
ReplyDeleteYou ARE a genius! What a cute cake. I'm glad somebody else totally stresses about silly things like cake. But it's a lot of pressure to make it turn out well! I can't believe your baby is 2. She's such a cute and smart little 2 year old! Tell her Happy Birthday from her boyfriend.
ReplyDeleteYou are such a fun little mama! I love the picture of Sadie looking at her huge chocolate candle-lit cake! sooo cute! And I really could tell right away what that cake was! that is so fun! that is one of my favorite books, too!:)you did an awesome job...and i'm NOT just saying that! :)
ReplyDeleteLOVE, LOVE, LOVE the cake. Super cute for a super cute girl. Hope she had a great birthday!
ReplyDelete