I know, I know. I’ve got a line-up of Christmas posts waiting to be done, but there’s one issue hanging over our heads right now that I have to post about.
Binkie detoxification.
I type those words with the heaviest hands possible. There’s no way I can convey the way they make me cringe. I don’t want to do it. I wish there was another way around it. I’ve tried to talk myself (and then Kevin) out of it. You see, I'm a big fan of binkies - those little suckers have saved our sanity more times than I can count.
Our biggest reason (we have many) is the upcoming “sick” season. If this year is anything like last year, we can plan on Sadie having some form of a cold continually until May. And colds? With a binkie? NOT. FUN.
But there is a tiny bit of a bright side. We started being pretty firm with her back around the time she turned a year old that binkies are for bedtime and naptime only. Lucky for us, she’s always been cooperative about throwing the binkie back in the crib after waking up. So she’s not as addicted as she could be. But boy, how she loves that thing at bedtime. It's going to be heartbreaking to have to take it away.
So my next dilemma is... how? Do we put something nasty tasting on them? Cut off the tips? Take it away cold turkey? (That feels really mean.) I think she might be a little young to understand the whole concept of a “Binkie Fairy” coming to take it away. I feel like we're diving into uncharted waters here!
So... wish us luck. We’ve pinned down tomorrow as D-day (or should it be B-day for binkie day?). I’ll report back on whether we meet success or give up and decide to let her use a binkie until she’s 16. :)
Did I make you feel bad when I blogged about Britney and Gwen? :) You can do as Britney did and put hot sauce on it haha. I don't look forward to doing this.
ReplyDeleteWe always cut the tip and it worked great every time. Good luck to you, it sucks!!
ReplyDeleteGood Luck Natalie (and Sadie) I had a friend who "traded" her 18month old for a new toy. Then she reminded him by saying over and over when he cried for the Binkie -Bye Binkie, Hello Elmo and gave him the Elmo to remind him. It worked. Who knows what will work for Sadie. Good Luck!
ReplyDeleteUgh, good luck with that! I hope that Zach hates binkies so that we never have to worry about weaning him!
ReplyDeleteWe took away Belle's binkies cold turkey. Take it away in the morning before the naps. The naps may be rough, but she'll be so tired at night she may fall asleep quickly without it. Good luck. I understand the sick baby thing. Aliyah is sick right now and I keep getting up multiple times every night to get the binkie back in since she keeps coughing it out.
ReplyDeleteOoohhhh - you're so brave! Lots of luck - we'll be sending happy thoughts your way! zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ReplyDeleteI was always a thumb sucker and my mom stopped me from doing that by offering to let me get my ears pierced if I stopped. :) Perhaps bribing her with something she wants will work. :) Good luck!
ReplyDelete