Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Our New Normal

Well, kind of. Normal is relative. I'm still trying to figure out this two kids thing. Some days I feel like I'm getting it. And then we have days like today when we get home from play group and Ellie is screaming because she's hungry and Sadie is whining because she's hungry and cranky, so I start throwing some lunch together for Sadie and warming up a bottle for Ellie, meanwhile Sadie escapes upstairs where she (purposely) knocks over her humidifier, causing another round of screaming and crying because she knows she's in big trouble.

Yeah. Apparently stress causes me to write in run-on sentences as well.

But I feel like I'm getting braver. I've even ventured to the store all by myself a few times. And one of those times was Walmart (that's bravery, I'm telling ya). I survived, but am still completely stumped on what to do with an infant carseat AND a toddler in the shopping cart. I just know Sadie's going to take a dive headfirst if I let her ride in the cart with the groceries. But I can't put the carseat there while Sadie rides in the child seat because then there's no room for said groceries. Letting Sadie walk isn't an option because the kid finds joy lately in pointedly ignoring me when I tell her to do something. I've taken to staring down the parents I walk past in the store to see how they are doing it (in a subtle, non-creepy way... I think). So far I haven't seen a good solution.

I also survived flying solo during Sacrament meeting on Sunday. Kevin had to speak, so it was just me and the girls. Luckily my awesome cousin was nice enough to sit by us to provide back-up if I needed it. Ellie slept the whole time, so we were good. But I was still quite proud of myself. Next up is braving the entire 3-hour block.

So we're making progress - slowly, anyways. Meanwhile, today (which has definitely been a "stress" day) has given me not one, but two large, very ugly... cold sores. So I'll be hiding out, not showing my disfugured lips for the next few days. Luckily these two will keep me entertained. Yes. They are still cute, even when they're both screaming and/or throwing tantrums.

This picture cracks me up every time I look at it. She totally did this on her own, the little poser. Arm up in the air and everything.



And speaking of being a poser... this kid has got the "cheesy grin" thing down perfectly.

7 comments:

  1. I don't know what to say other than I like you and your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on flying solo to Walmart! That is one thing that will take lots of time, practice, and patience I'm sure. Maybe some bribery for Sadie?...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait! I may have an answer to your shopping cart dilemma. I hope I explain it well enough...

    Put Sadie in the child's seat and then position the car seat sideways and resting on top of the cart. Does that make sense? Our first few trips to the store with the twins required me to push a shopping cart with the car seats resting on top of the main part of the cart and then Josh would push a cart for the food. With one car seat though, that should leave half of the cart free, right? And you could also put food under the car seat, right? Maybe? Am I making any sense? Hope so...

    ReplyDelete
  4. No advice here, sorry! I'm totally terrified of having two kids. i think it will be a while before i get my courage up! :) But seeing that picture of you and Sadie and Ellie in the hospital made me feel like it might not be so bad...i loved that picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Walmart is bad enough by yourself, you're awfully brave to go with two kiddos! Sounds busy, but lovely! What beautiful girls you have!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When there is more then one child there is really no good way to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm super impressed you've taken the kids out to the store a few times. I've only been out once and it required lots of planning. And it was a big trip because I didn't want to venture out again soon! I put Sammi in a front carrier and let E ride in the child part of the seat so I could actually put groceries in there. I don't know about Ellie, but Sammi totally zonks out when she's in the front carrier resting against my chest...so there was no real fear of her waking up and screaming. E is also a non-obedient child these days, but it's getting better. Oh how I wish we were closer to enjoy all this stuff together!

    ReplyDelete