Saturday, June 25, 2011

Mommy Monster, part 2

Remember this post confessing my inner “mommy monster?” I was thinking about it the other day. Someone asked me (again – I forget how often this question comes up starting at this age) at church if Ellie is walking yet. And once again, I had to answer that nope, she just started crawling a few weeks ago. It got me thinking of that post and how hard of a time I had with the walking issue when Sadie was this same age. She didn’t walk until she was almost 14 months old and I was a bit…errr…bothered by it. Yep, I’ll admit it. I didn’t like that all the kids Sadie’s age were leaving her in the dust - literally - while she took her sweet time learning to walk.

My, how things have changed! While I still have my moments, it’s amazing how much more relaxed I am about Ellie hitting her milestones as opposed to Sadie. We're once again surrounded by quite a few kids Ellie's age who are early walkers, but it doesn't bother me. I think it’s because all I have to do is look at Sadie to see that it really, really doesn’t matter. I’m predicting that Ellie won’t walk until she’s at least 14 months old, just like her sister. But I’m totally okay with that. Walking at 9 months, walking at 14 months…nobody really cares when they’re three years old and running and jumping and doing somersaults all over the place. (I kinda-sorta hope Ellie knee walks like Sadie, though. Remember knee walking? Cutest. Thing. Ever.) 

I’ve also noticed the relaxation in other areas too. What? Ellie’s eating Cheerios off of our (maybe not-so-clean) kitchen floor? Meh. You want to give her a bite – or two or three – or your ice cream? Go for it. Ellie smacks her head on the wall? She’ll survive. :)

See?

It’s different when it’s not your first kid. And I hear rumors that the nonchalant attitude tends to get a little (ahem) worse as more kids come along. That’s just what I hear. ;)


And I can't not post a picture, but my camera is 100 miles away at my parents (yes, it's driving me crazy), so here's an older one that I don't think ever made its way to the blog.

(It's amazing how much Ellie's hair has grown since this picture was taken!)

5 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Emma still isn't walking at she is now 13 months and isn't even close. And yes, the more kids you have the more lax you become. Believe me, I know!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Z walked at nine months, and while at first I thought it was cool after a few days I was REALLY wishing he would have waited at least a few more months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, we're nowhere near close. Charli doesn't want to crawl, stand up, nada. So, I'm glad Ellie is where she is cause it gives me a great standard. They are very similar. If you only get more relaxed, I may be in trouble with future kids. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm in trouble if parenting tends to get more lax...Zachy's my first, and I let him eat off the floor, put wood chips from the park in his mouth, slurp up water from the splash pad (I mean let's be honest, boys will be boys)...my poor future children!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just contemplating how I'm so much more relaxed with Sammi too! She just ate some cheerios off our floor as well...I even let her share toys with another baby at church. *gasp*! She's not walking yet either. And frankly, it doesn't bother me except that I think maybe she would not be so interested in things on the floor! She tried to eat a potato bug today.

    ReplyDelete