Thursday, October 9, 2008

Favorite Series


I can't help it. I don't normally deviate from my family-blogging trend, but I'm dying to write about one of my favorite book series of all time. No, it's not Twilight. It's not even Harry Potter. It's an LDS series called The Great and Terrible by Chris Stewart. I'm amazed...shocked...even appalled that these books are so underappreciated amongst the LDS crowd. In my opinion, they blow most LDS best-selling authors out of the water. (I could go on and on about Anita Stansfield, but I'll bite my tongue (fingers?) cause I know some of you are probably fans.) The series is literally the perfect mix of suspense, action, romance, and especially spirituality. After reading these books, I have a whole new perspective on the Gospel and our premortal life. Of course, it's all fiction and just the author's imagination, but it makes me think. A lot. I won't give too much away. You'll just have to read them for yourselves!

I do have to offer a word of advice. The first one is amazing and sucks you in. Then when you get to the second one, it's a little slower getting started. But push through and you'll be hooked by the end of the book.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. If anyone decides to take my humble advice to read the awesomeness that is this book, I'd love to know if you feel the same way. Happy reading! :)

6 comments:

  1. I've always thought this would be a good series...I just could never find the first one (I used to work at the outlet store for Deseret Book and we never had the first volume). Also...have you read Children of the Promise by Dean Hughes? Also a VERY good series. I'm not sure if I can compare them cuz I haven't read these...but I really liked children of the promise. *just a thought*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie, please tell me you were implying that you hate anita stansfield... cuz I'll be honest and say I really wanted to vomit when I read the first book. I got books 1 and 2 from the library but felt so sick after the first one that I disgustedly took them both back. So...if we're together on that then I feel good about taking a recommendation from you on these! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, I am always looking for new books to read! Right now I am reading "The Book Thief" and it extremely interesting. The narrator is death and it's about a little German girl in Nazi Germany. We should totally talk books sometime, I'm glad you blogged about this because I get sad to end a book so I always need more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have choosen not to read cheesy church romance novels after my first Anita Stansfield novel. Someone forgot to tell her that everyone does not always live "happily ever after". Is it that kind of romance? Cheesy church romance?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should probably clarify that NO I'm not a big fan of Anita Stansfield. And NO this series isn't that kind of romance. In fact, there really isn't that much romance at all! Just to ease all your fears...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve and Terri LOVED this series and we are waiting to read them next. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete