Can I make a random confession? I have a weird phobia of earthquakes. The thought of being in the midst of one freaks me out. As in, I can often be found scoping out rooms in my mind for the best places to "duck and cover" if an earthquake were to occur.
Now, I'm usually pretty chill about potential bad stuff happening. Most the time, I figure it does absolutely no good to worry. But when it comes to earthquakes, it's a different story. But hey... since Kevin's the official worrier in our family, I figure I'm allowed to have at least one thing I'm kind of crazy about.
Anyways (am I rambling? I feel like I'm rambling), you can guess that when I heard about the earthquake in Japan this morning, my mind immediately started turning in circles. One of the results of my strange little phobia is that I've been pretty diligent in putting together 72-hour kits for all of us. I can't stand the thought of something big like that happening here and having to escape out of our home without a single thing we need - especially for the kids. But I haven't updated them in over a year, so the news this morning triggered nagging little thoughts about going through our kits.
So what, you may ask, does this have to do with my "happy" today?
Well, AFTER I pulled out our kits and spread them all over our living room floor, I realized that I still need a new system for packing the food. I'm not very good at this part. You have to buy calorie-packed foods that aren't too heavy... yada, yada, yada. So I did a Google search (of course) and happened upon a blog called Food Storage Made Easy. Coolest blog ever! (Well, okay - coolest blog on food storage and emergency preparedness ever. :))
The best part was that I found me this little tutorial on packing all your 72-hour kit food into one milk gallon jug. Exactly what I was looking for! Stumbling upon the perfect website like this makes me... you guessed it: happy!
Also, the website is cute. And it makes me feel like maybe, just maybe, I could start putting together a 3-month food storage soon. Cute websites have a tendency to make me feel motivated like that. :)
I'm the same way but with tornadoes...at least your fear isn't as unfounded as mine (although not so unfounded when we're visiting IL and the sky turns green...so scary!)
ReplyDeleteAlso funny because our FHE was on food storage this week...it's like you read my mind, lol! :)
Thanks so much for posting this Natalie! I've been thinking the same thing since hearing about the earthquake. What a neat idea to use a milk jug.
ReplyDeleteI love your "happy days" by the way :)